Friday, January 3, 2014

The tribe has spoken

The results are in and the overwhelming majority of the votes were for the second setting of stars. Including DH's input and that of an email I received the tally came to 26 for stars and 2 for the first option. Actually I too had been leaning towards stars, but when I posed the question on a FB group devoted to this mystery the votes were evenly split. But I wondered if that was more based on the fact that many of the voters there were swayed by what the designer wanted. It was interesting to see that the votes of my blog readers were so heavily swayed. In any case I appreciated all the input and have started putting the blocks together. I wish you could see all the fabrics in person as the photo just does not do this quilt justice.

I wish my back would allow me to sit at my machine all day but all the sewing this week has been a bit too much so it will be back to a bit of handwork for a few days. Remember these, I only have 5 more of them to appliqué before my In the Meadow quilt can be assembled.

Finally, in the spirit of setting goals for the New Year I have come up with a few of my own. First is to make 2014 the year of stash busting. For me this means using what I have and buying no new fabric. I had already stopped fabric shopping after my back surgery in September forced me to remain home and then my DH's job loss meant a critical look at the budget. Oddly enough knowing that I really can't buy has been almost freeing, I am no longer hoarding fabric for that "special" project. I am using fabrics that have been around forever and I am feeling more creative as I am forced to just use what is on hand. But, full disclosure here, I have a huge stash so it really isn't too much of a hardship - yet. Second, I am going to try to focus on the positive more than dwelling on the negative. It has been a difficult few years and I am hoping that 2014 will be a year that I can add more fun creativity and happiness into my life. And that means the freedom to finish what I want, start a new project if I want, all guilt free!

 

 

15 comments:

Karen said...

It's going to be wonderful. I'm thinking that maybe you will influence lots of people - me for one :)!

sunny said...

I hope you have a wonderful 2014! I guess you'll be moving again? Enjoy shopping your stash this year.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Celtic Solstice is looking beautiful. I managed to get two rows sewn together so far.

Janet said...

It's all guilt-free when it comes from the stash :0) I hope you have a great 2014!

Bev said...

This is my UFO finishing year too. I am not buying any fabric either. I just finished the blocks (not sewn together yet) on a quilt I've been working on for a while and have tons of fabrics left over from it to use to finish other ufo's. I was kind of organizing them yesterday and it's embarrassing to see how many unfinished projects I have. Sigh.... XO Bev

Elaine said...

Love your Celtic solstice and your appliqué leaves, I am trying to use stash fabrics this year too, I agree it is liberating!

beaquilter said...

uhhh this looks lovely!! great job

Janet said...

Great choice, I love that setting because there are dimensions to it. I can see stars, a grid and circles. I hope you can claim this years as yours, I can relate.

Every Stitch said...

It is coming along beautifully and best to pace yourself. I find that more than an hour at the machine and the shoulders need a break. I just love your Meadow blocks - wonderful fabrics - can't wait to see this go together!!
Hilda

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a striking quilt. I love all the different patterns that appear in it.Your applique blocks are looking wonderful too. I don't think I've seen those before. I'm sure you will have success with your goals. I really wish you all the very best for 2014.

julieQ said...

Gorgeous Celtic solstice!!

Maddie Can Fly said...

All those little leaf blocks look so familiar. I think I only have about 15 done -- many more to go!

Brandie said...

I love it, love it, love it! This is going to be a gorgeous quilt!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

That quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I mean gorgeous and oh my gosh do all those points give me a migraine. I'm a terrible piecer. Now all those fabulous green leaves are another story. Looove them!

Debra said...

Love all the green leaves on black and white backgrounds!!! What will the quilt look like? Looks fantastic.