Friday, January 31, 2014

Benjamin Biggs quilt and more

So, I I know I have way too many projects on the go but on Tuesday things seemed so quiet that I started looking at all the great pictures of the Benjamin Biggs blocks that people were posting. Big mistake. Well not really but I did reconsider my original position, which was that I would not start this project. I investigated my stash and discovered several reproduction greens and reds that were just waiting for the right quilt and found some background fabric which meant I did not have to purchase anything. OK, it is only one block a month, I am in! I did decide though that I do not need a huge quilt so I downsized my blocks to 12 1/2 inches. Less fabric and a smaller quilt, perfect. I also saw that several people had changed the block slightly and I followed their example by redrawing the center. Hard to tell in this photo as no stitching has been started. But I am prepped and ready to go. Yay!

It has been a long time since I posted about my Birdsong quilt. I did show a bunch of leaves awhile ago and I finally finished them so that I can start putting this together. Here is the center on my design wall and I have just started the sewing. Once this is sewn together there is a whole row of those leaf blocks used as a border. Hopefully I will get this sewn this week!

I mentioned in my last post that I like to just do whatever I am in the mood for and this week I was feeling the urge to get more appliqué prepped. Once we finally sell this house things could move quickly and I want to make sure I have lots of handwork to take me through the transition time. I have several Rachel Meyer blocks ready but there are quite large so I wanted something a little more portable at the ready and started prepping these Pomegranate blocks from a pattern in a 2006 McCall's Quilting magazine. One of the great things about buying nothing new is that I have been looking through my old project boxes and rediscovering some treasures (and some duds).

I was hoping to finish prepping these at a leisurely pace this weekend but instead tomorrow I need to clean this mess up in time for a house showing. Fingers crossed!

Finally I have been stitching away on the last corner vase on LE but I think I will wait until it is finished to share a picture. And today I realize that the lull is over. New releases for Friendship of the Flowers, a new part of the Soupçon Hexagon QAL, and tomorrow both a new Benjamin Biggs block and the second part of the Quilt Doodles QAL means a busy week ahead.

 

17 comments:

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Wow - more beautiful projects on the go. Even after sharing your process philosophy on your last pits I am still amazed at how productive you are.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Heather just love your projects -- your BB block will be awesome and I have Birdsong on my list of Quilts to Do too!! Your work is beautiful!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Post!

Rachaeldaisy said...

You have some many amazing projects on the go, but you do seem to get through them at a steady pace. I'm so in love with your Birdsong quilt!!

Janet said...

I love those pomegranates!! They are nice small blocks to work on. Good luck with your sewing room cleanup - I hate having to do that as I can never find things when they are put " away" :0)

Deb said...

I so love your blog and love to see the projects you are working on, they remind me of my list of projects that I would love to get done. Your BBD quilt of the Birds is awesome, bigs block is gorgeous. love your work table with your tablet of fabrics all laid I think I should do that..

Elaine said...

Lots of fabulous projects Heather, they should keep you busy! Good luck with the house sale.

Carla said...

Oh my word. Such amazing appliqué .LOVE the birdsong blocks

Cathy said...

Reading this post makes me feel like I fell in Applique Heaven. I love your birdsong blocks...I love everything. You are such an inspiration. Hugs

Nancy said...

I really like the fabric you have chosen for your BB quilt and all those birds are amazing..I have never seen this pattern.

Brandie said...

What a fun mess you have! I love everything! I love that you seem to always pair red with a aqua. And those pomagranites with red olive and aqua, gorgeous!

Cardygirl said...

Just stunning...all great projects, but I absolutely adore your birds...gorgeous!

Every Stitch said...

Oh my - so much loveliness in this post!Love all your applique projects and good to see the creative"mess" you have made - looks just like mine Lol! Good luck with the house sale:)
Hilda

Debra said...

Oh!!! I have been so tempted myself to start that Benjamin Biggs quilt.. but I have resisted! (although I have printed out the pattern! LOL) Beautiful fabrics you have chosen!

Sheila said...

your work is outstanding. How on earth do you juggle them all?

Thimbleanna said...

Wow, you do have a lot of quilts on the go -- but then, variety is the spice of life, right? I love the bird quilt and I LOVE those pomegranates!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

My gracious woman! You have such incredible talent with color choices. Loooooooooooove!!!