Friday, January 17, 2014

Love Entwined part 5 and 6

Thank you to everyone who wrote encouraging comments about this quilt. Though I am still struggling with the colors, I am enjoying the process once more. I am still trying to figure out what is not quite right in my eyes but am reaching the point that I may have to accept that the reasons for my dissatisfaction may remain a mystery. I truly love the colors in the antique looking quilts like those made by Di Ford and I was using that as my inspiration when selecting the background fabric but perhaps that is the main problem. I was trying to recreate someone else's style rather than my own. Hmm, just food for thought. Anyway here is the part 5 vase after stitching.

As you can see the stitching really helps bring out the details. I have now prepped the next vase. Originally I had planned to do this vase in another fabric but after trying a few, I decided that I prefer them all to be the same fabric. I am liking the quilt better each time I add more of the teal color. I so wish that I had purchased a full pattern repeat of the Dutch chintz as there are several flowers that are not complete and thus cannot be used. And of course they are the perfect size and I am running out of flowers that are the right size. Lesson learned!

So here is where I am so far. I feel confident that I can get this center finished soon but am not sure if I will go any further. I still love the pattern but am not sure if I want to continue with a project that I no longer love quite so much. And since we are selling this house the place of honor that I had designated to display this quilt will no longer be an option and it is highly unlikely that our next home will have the space. But the first border does look lovely so who knows!

 

14 comments:

Teresa Rawson said...

Wow - I duck out for the holidays and come back to such loveliness! I love your colors, and I have the perfect blue wall to put it on...LOL! Your fabric choices are so nice and your workmanship perfection. Keep going, girl!

Teresa :o)

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Don't make any big decisions until the whole center is done, you might be surprised. And one border might open it up a little, there's a lot going on in that center!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I know where you are coming from. I am not as far as you on the quilt but I too am not as in love with it now as I was when I started. As I see some of the centers that are further along than mine I think there is "too much" in it. I think I will start by putting all four vases in the corners and adding some of the flowers but maybe not all of them and the same as the quilt grows - if I make it all that is.

Sil said...

Your fabric choices are so nice! Your proyect is perfect!

Cardygirl said...

It is beautiful, the work you have done is amazing. Funny when we fall out of love with a project isn't it? I admire it, but it is not me either, but sometimes I think we are good to extend ourselves so that we can develop a whole new style!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Gasp!! This is so beautiful and amazing!! I always fall out of love with my projects half way through, but then like them again when they're finished. I think it's something about what you see in your mind and then how it turns out in real life. You are doing such an amazing job with the top, the colours, your vases of flowers, all of it is so beautiful.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

So beautiful!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Oh Heather, it's just beautiful - I love how you have used broderie perse and embroidery to create the bunches of flowers for the vases. It is such an incredibly detailed quilt, I hope it all turns out so that you love it again.

Eileen said...

You've done a wonderful job so far on your LE. Before you decide what you want to do with the rest of the quilt, why not just download and keep the patterns? That way, you'll have them if you want to keep going.

Karen H said...

Your LE is so pretty. If you stop here and don't go on to the next border it will still be a stunner! Like you I see the colours other people use and I think I want to do something in that colourway but it never seems to work because I always end up going back to the colours that I'm naturally drawn to!

Plum Cox said...

What a great looking top! I love your colours and choices so far! Like you, I think that I'm going to stop after this centre square so that I have somewhere to display it.

Jantine said...

I can understand someone is not happy with her quilt and if you are not, you only can decide. But I do know I like yours a lot!

Carol Sanin said...

Honestly, I love your quilt and the choice of colors, flowers etc. I think you're just over thinking it. I think your quilt is one of the prettiest. Best of luck. I hope you fall in love with your quilt again.