Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Second Rachel Meyer block and a new start

I haven't mentioned the Rachel Meyer quilt in quite some time and realized that I had finished stitching my second block and not posted a photo. So here it is, appliqué complete with a bit of added embroidered stems. These stems are done using two strands of floss and a chain stitch. I like them so well in LE that I decided to use the the same technique. I am thinking I may add some more embroidery but I will wait til I get a few more blocks done.

I was in the mood to do some simple embroidery over the weekend and stitched up a little block for Winter Wonderland. I have had all the supplies sitting around for this one for a few years now and, since this is the year for using stash only, it seemed like a good time to start. I am in no hurry with this one but it will make a good fill in project when I just need some simple handwork.

People often seem surprised at how much I get done. My secret is to have several different projects in different stages so that I always have something to work on depending on my mood. I am not a "project" quilter most of the time. I don't usually need to finish something on a deadline. Instead I consider myself a "process" quilter enjoying each aspect of the process more than the actual product. So I may be sorting fabrics for a new project one day, cutting one day, machine sewing, quilting by hand or machine, prepping for appliqué, hand appliquéing or embroidering. And on a given day I may do several of these tasks so I like to have several options available. This results in many WIPs and sometimes I go months without a finish. Then suddenly I might finish several at once. Sadly due to moving and then my back issues, I am way behind in my quilting but hopefully soon I can get back to that too.

Now if I could just stop seeing all these great projects online I might focus more on what I have going on but this year there just seems to be so many great things out there. I think I may have to start the Benjamin Biggs quilt BOM too. Oh dear, I will just think of it as stash busting!

 

19 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the redwork quilt - I have thought of doing this one as well. I like you work on many at once and never set a deadline!

Every Stitch said...

Lots of projects is definitely the way to go - and it gives us followers extra inspiration! I know what you mean about "the process" - makes it sad to finish a quilt sometimes. Love the Rachel Mayer and thanks for the tip on chain stitch embroidery.
Hilda

Michele Bilyeu said...

Heather, your quilts, your applique, and your entire blog...absolutely exquisite!

Judymc said...

I love your beautiful work! I have several things going at a time, too! Keeps things from getting boring! I'm hand piecing Lucy Boston blocks--they are so addictive!

Karen said...

I like how you used the bird fabric in the pot. I have a bit of that fabric....or did. Good use for it.

Angie in SoCal said...

Your blocks are wonderful! I serendipitously began to do as you do without any conscious thought - I have so many projects going. Thanks for sharing.

Bev said...

I like to work the same way but it makes me have a lot of ufo's. So, like you, I'm just going to work on projects already started and not start any others. Love your applique block and your embroidered block...heck, I love all the work you do! XO

Oops-Lah said...

Oh I know; the temptations on the Internet!!! I'm constantly drawn this way and that. But unlike you, I just keep looking at all the wonderful projects, instead of getting on with them ;). I also like to have several projects on the go, as I get bored easily. But in my case it often means that nothing gets finished!!! You truly amaze me!

Karen said...

Your Rachael Meyer is sooo pretty. Your work is truly amazing.

Carrie P. said...

your block is lovely.
I have the same snow man pattern. I think I have three blocks done.
Like you seeing the different projects on line gets me in trouble. :0)

Rachaeldaisy said...

All your projects are simply wonderful! I was just thinking How does she get so much done? And then you answered my thought with the next paragraph.

Cardygirl said...

Just love that appliqué....beautiful! Great stitchery too. I regard myself as an aspirational sewer...I aspire to do soooo much! Just as long as you are doing what you love.

Elaine said...

I love your appliqué such a good idea to add embroidery details, and yes I am definitely a process quilter too it is the only way to keep motivated!

Mayleen said...

Your applique and embroidery are lovely! I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Rachel Meyer blocks. I'm working in much the same way with several (lots) of projects at the same time. It allows me to put one aside and think about it if it isn't turning out like I want. Enjoy the journey!

Brandie said...

I'm going to look up Rachel Meyer's patterns. Your block is absolutely gorgeous! You are tempting me once again!

Barb said...

What an amazing applique project...love love love it

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Just beautiful Heather -- what an inspiration! Thank you for sharing. Karen

Aunt 'Reen said...

Beautiful applique' block Heather!
Your embroidered snowman is darling. (I too have had this redwork pattern in progress for a few years now)
I like your approach toward your quilt projects. Eliminating the deadlines, brings greater joy to the creative process!

Barb said...

beautiful block - i love the birdy urn and the colors. Your skiing snowman stitching is so cute!