Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sue Spargo BOM 2012

 Last June I was fortunate enough to take a few workshops with Sue Spargo when she came to our quilt guild.  It was so much fun working with wool and all her fun embellishment techniques that I wanted to do more.  While I love many of her designs I was uncertain about signing up for her 2012 BOM because the one from last year was not in my preferred color palette.  However after seeing a sneak peek of this year's colors, on the Sue Spargo Twee blog, I was smitten and signed up quickly.  Now this is not an inexpensive BOM (though I am not complaining cause you really do get some wonderful, unique materials) so it isn't one I want to linger forever in my "to do" pile.  I am in the week 3 mailing so I have only had the package for about 1 1/2 weeks, but other obligations have not allowed me to work on it until today.  A full day in the studio and the applique is complete and the embellishment can begin. Lots of embroidery on each block and hopefully I can start tomorrow. Oh how I am loving these happy colors!


 This is another wool project that I am trying to embellish using the same idea. The project is from the book
"Pennies from Heaven" but I am adding lots of extra stitching and some applique with silk.

And speaking of silk, a wonderful quilting friend recently gifted me with some wonderful Jim Thompson silk sample pieces. I am so excited that I am trying to plan the perfect project.  Maybe an applique project all in silk.  Makes me happy just imagining how beautiful that could be!

7 comments:

sunny said...

The Sue Spargo is nice, but I'm really loving the Pennies from Heaven! Love that little bluebird.

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, I love your wool project...and what fun to take classes to learn more techniques...lucky you!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Wow! I love both of those projects. It will be fun to see your monthly progress with the Sue Spargo BOM. Your Pennies From Heaven is so lovely!

Brandie said...

Looks like fun! Those really are happy colors. Love it!

Michele said...

Hi Heather, I wanted to email you but your profile declined to display your address. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I would love to know more about your lotus blossom block (gorgeous!) and if it is an original design. If you felt like sharing the name of the fabric you used to fussy cut the petals, I would be delighted. Michele

Liz said...

Hi Heather, I'm doing the SS BoM too, I did her 2010 one, Crimson Tweed, but not last years and I was sorry later that I hadn't so I signed up early for this one..I've also got the Pennies from Heaven one started and stashed away for the days that I haven't anything to do...that's a joke at the moment...!!!
Look forward to seeing how you go with the embellishment, I'm at exactly the same stage and hope to start embellishing this weekend..
Lizzie
xxx

Lisa said...

I love your Pennies! You don't see a white background that often, and I think it looks stunning. Your embellishments are really creative. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. :)