Sunday, February 5, 2012

Baby Quilts are such fun

 Oh how I love sewing baby quilts.  They are small and with some fun fabrics they can be fast and easy but still adorable.  Yesterday I spent all day in the studio sewing these baby items.  The pattern for this one came from an old American Patchwork and Quilting magazine and is made primarily from the Frolic line of fabric by Wendy Slotbloom for In the Beginning Fabrics.  I spotted this adorable line of fabrics a few years ago, but with no baby needs didn't buy any and just kept admiring it in the store. So when my LQS put it in their sale room (40% off) I scooped up several yards for "sometime".  I added a few other pieces of fabric from my stash and am very pleased with it.  I find it so much harder to make something adorable and boyish cause I do love flowers etc. but this one fits the bill and with the few tiny flowers amongst the animals it would be so easy to add something to make it read more girly should that be required.

 From the same line of fabric I made this little bassinet sheet and bumper.  Seeing the bassinet really takes me back as it was made for my youngest son (now 22) when he was born, by a dear friend. 

And from the leftovers of the bigger quilt I whipped up this tiny one for the bassinet.  No pattern, just cut some leftovers into 2 in squares and used a little piece of fun fabric framed in the center.  I had intended to make it a bit bigger but ran out of squares and decided it was fine.  I have actually got it quilted now and am ready to hand stitch the binding tonight.  A happy and productive weekend.

Oh, and why is baby on my mind?  My DS and DDIL are trying to adopt a baby.  Though we don't know when it will happen I know I will be ready to welcome a baby with much love and of course, quilts.

5 comments:

sunny said...

Cute stuff! And one should always be prepared! I'm sure DS and DDIL are thrilled with what you've made.

Julierose said...

What an absolutely adorable set you've created, Heather. I love that fabric--the owls are soooo cute. Thanks for sharing....Julierose

Barb said...

Sooooo cute!!!

Dolores said...

Wonderful little baby things. Glad you had fun creating.

Rachaeldaisy said...

You must be so excited!!! One of the best things about baby quilts is the cute little baby smiles that belong to the recipients.