Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chinese Peony and Butterfly

Here is another block from my quilt based on Chinese embroideries. In 2009 my husband and I lived in China for about 8 months. I had never been interested in Asian art before living there but was truly inspired by the beautiful motifs used in the embroideries, pottery and textiles. The colors in the quilt are inspired by the beautiful silk embroideries and bead work that I saw in Hong Kong and elsewhere. We lived in a third tier city in southern China where beautiful fabrics and threads were not available for purchase, so I spend my time using up the stash I brought with me and designing. A sudden family emergency forced us to return before we expected and it is only recently that I have felt able to return to this project and fondly remember our time in China .

1 comment:

Paula said...

Wow - what a beautiful appliqué. Looking forward seeing some more. Are you needle turning, do you use freezer paper?
Every single piece looks perfect.