Thursday, March 13, 2014

Make it your Way Quilt along and finished center

After looking at several stripes to complete the center of the Di Ford Mystery I decided to use the stripe I purchased a few weeks ago while visiting my sister. Once I added it to the appliqued center I think I made a good choice. I really love the one shown in the pattern but am happy that my quilt will be unique.

I also started a pieced project using only fabrics from my stash. The majority of the fabrics are from the etchings line by a Moda. I had purchased a jelly roll, charm pack and then much later a layer cake as well as some yardage. And I still didn't know what to do with the fabric so the other day when I came across McCall's Quilting Make it Your Way Quilt along I decided I would finally crack into those fabrics. I have also added a few more fabrics, I just have difficulty making something out of just the fabrics from one line of fabric. This quilt uses several different scrappy blocks and here are the Friendship star blocks from part 3.

I was able to make all of these from the jelly roll by using the Easy Angle ruler. Finally I have figured out how to make HST from 2 1/2 inch strips that finish at 2 inches.

Part 4 is Diamond blocks and I really struggled with these. I decided to use my charm squares to cut the 3 3/4 " x 5" rectangles and then proceeded to cut them all diagonally in the same direction. Oops, half were to be cut in the opposite direction so I wasted half of the charm squares. And then despite careful sewing they were coming out small on one side. With lots of tweaking I finally figured how to make them work, well close enough, and I am so happy to be finished.

Actually it is nice to have a piecing project on the go again and this is a fun one though I am a little unsure of my fabric choices so far. But the setting is very different than in these photos so hopefully it will be OK.

 

17 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your scrappy stars - I too am quilting from my stash

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Love the striped fabric for the centre of the Mystery quilt, it works perfectly. I also love the Etchings fabric and have used a few pieces in my AWS. Your piecing and colour combinations look great!

Rachaeldaisy said...

The stripey border looks like a picture frame, it looks fabulous!! I like your etchings blocks, the colours are wonderful!!

audrey said...

Your medallion is wonderful--perfect border fabric! And those scrappy blocks are great--love the colors.:)

Every Stitch said...

I thought the same as Rachael - the border is just like a picture frame! and has a great 3D look - beautiful choice:)

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I really love this quilt so far. You amaze me with all the work you get done. Beautiful!

Teresa Rawson said...

Your medallion is beautiful! Love the fabrics you chose.And your scrappy project really appeals to me...are you using a commercial pattern? The friendship stars with the 4-patches at the center are fabulous. I have a bunch of Minnick and Simpson fabric in similar colors to use up and your color palette really excites me!

Sheila said...

love your border choice Heather, your Mountmellick is looking fabulous

Kyle said...

The fabrics you've chosen for the mystery quilt are beautiful. The colors are bright and bold. It's a lovely beginning.

Barb said...

Your applique block is sooooooooooooooo amazing!!

Bev said...

Love, love, love all your blocks! The colors are wonderful! You really have "the eye"! XO

Thimbleanna said...

Oh gosh, I love your fabric choices! Very pretty. And I love your border on the mystery quilt -- I haven't seen the original that you're referring to and I think yours looks just perfect!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Very pretty! I plan to use my stash too--only have my templates ready so far....

Brandie said...

Once again your stash and your fabric choices really apeap to me!
I love your Di Ford block, it's good to be differnt.

Karen said...

Your Di Ford is so pretty. The colors looks great together.

Barb said...

the stripe looks perfect - lovely blocks too!

Angie in SoCal said...

Love your medallion quilt - it is gorgeous! Wish I had time to make a Di Ford quilt. And the stash blocks are great - I've seen that quilt and am sure it will work the way you're making them. Thanks for sharing!