Wow, it is already March and with a new month comes new mystery blocks and BOMs. First up is the Quilt Doodles mystery block. This month is the tree block shown here with last month's house block. I really enjoy how quick and easy these blocks are, perfect for some simple sewing at the beginning of each month. Since this makes a twin size quilt I am looking forward to a fun winter quilt for one of the grandchildren when it is done.
Before starting this month's Benjamin Biggs block, I want to finish this installment of the Di Ford mystery. I do not really have enough of the large leaves in my fabric do do the corner leaves in broderie perse. Instead I have made a pattern for the leaves and found a green that looks suitable to me. The hexagons are darker than Di's but I am OK with them and may add a bit of embroidery if they seem too dark later. I am still struggling with the stripe border but may have found something that will work.
Last week I visited my sister who winters here in Florida, about 2 hours from where I live. She had asked me to come and do a trunk show and appliqué demo for her quilting friends which was lots of fun. We also went to a few quilt shops in her area. Since DH just started a new job and I had been saving for this trip, I did a little fabric shopping. I actually found a few great finds, including that piece of red and pink shown just below the stripe. I had been looking for that fabric for years and found it for $6.99/yd. I was so happy I bought the end of the bolt! And maybe that stripe will work for my Di Ford mystery. The rest are possible additions to LE or the mystery. Hmm, I see I am in a repro phase!
Finally the latest installment of Soupçon was released on Friday. There are two different borders suggested and I decided to go with the hexagons. But when I printed out some 1/2 inch hexagon template sheets I forgot to turn off the scaling setting on my printer and my hexagons turned out 1/16th of an inch smaller than 1/2 inch. I did not realize til I had cut almost 100 hexagons so my hexagon flowers are a bit small. As a result they will not fit the border as suggested but that just means a little adjustment and hopefully it is a happy accident. Here are my first 6. Only 18 more to make! Guess I better get stitching.