Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A New Month

Wow, it is already March and with a new month comes new mystery blocks and BOMs. First up is the Quilt Doodles mystery block. This month is the tree block shown here with last month's house block. I really enjoy how quick and easy these blocks are, perfect for some simple sewing at the beginning of each month. Since this makes a twin size quilt I am looking forward to a fun winter quilt for one of the grandchildren when it is done.

Before starting this month's Benjamin Biggs block, I want to finish this installment of the Di Ford mystery. I do not really have enough of the large leaves in my fabric do do the corner leaves in broderie perse. Instead I have made a pattern for the leaves and found a green that looks suitable to me. The hexagons are darker than Di's but I am OK with them and may add a bit of embroidery if they seem too dark later. I am still struggling with the stripe border but may have found something that will work.

Last week I visited my sister who winters here in Florida, about 2 hours from where I live. She had asked me to come and do a trunk show and appliqué demo for her quilting friends which was lots of fun. We also went to a few quilt shops in her area. Since DH just started a new job and I had been saving for this trip, I did a little fabric shopping. I actually found a few great finds, including that piece of red and pink shown just below the stripe. I had been looking for that fabric for years and found it for $6.99/yd. I was so happy I bought the end of the bolt! And maybe that stripe will work for my Di Ford mystery. The rest are possible additions to LE or the mystery. Hmm, I see I am in a repro phase!

Finally the latest installment of Soupçon was released on Friday. There are two different borders suggested and I decided to go with the hexagons. But when I printed out some 1/2 inch hexagon template sheets I forgot to turn off the scaling setting on my printer and my hexagons turned out 1/16th of an inch smaller than 1/2 inch. I did not realize til I had cut almost 100 hexagons so my hexagon flowers are a bit small. As a result they will not fit the border as suggested but that just means a little adjustment and hopefully it is a happy accident. Here are my first 6. Only 18 more to make! Guess I better get stitching.

 

 

14 comments:

Julierose said...

Loving your fabric finds--great price, too! I really like your broderie perse block and those hexagons are super! Hugs, Julierose

Mayleen said...

Love your new fabrics! In fact, I think the one under the pink stripe was used in the original Phebe quilt pattern. I've been watching the Soupcon QAL and wish I'd had time to participate. Cute hexagons!

Janet said...

What cute little hexagons! I hope your adjusting works out. Your fabric purchases are wonderful - bright repros are my favorite! I look forward to watching your progress on the Di Ford mystery - it looks beautiful so far.

Cathy said...

I love all your projects. I'm doing the quilt doodles BOM too. I haven't made my tree block yet. Love yours.
Hugs

Oops-Lah said...

You've bought gorgeous fabric. So is the fabric diet over ;)??? Congrats to your DH for landing a new job. Does that mean that you'll stay where you are?

Oops-Lah said...

You've bought gorgeous fabric. So is the fabric diet over ;)??? Congrats to your DH for landing a new job. Does that mean that you'll stay where you are?

Every Stitch said...

Thanks for updating us with your collection of projects - love the fussy cutting on the cute hexagons. Am sure you will 'adjust' them to fit beautifully. It is nice to find an 'old friend' fabric isn't it? Well done!
Hilda

Sheila said...

Heather your hexies will look great on your Soupcon, I'll be interested to see how you make them work. I just love the fabrics you have chosen for them. I am thinking i might need to re-visit my stash for some fussy cutting after seeing these. Your Montmellick looks great too. I am still turning the flowers.. a slow job for me. I can't believe you are doing LE as well, i have been downloading the patterns for the day i can focus on just one or two projects Haha!

Brandie said...

Eye candy!
I looked at the Di Ford mystery and thought really hard about doing it. But I decided that I don't have the fabrics and I really hate cutting into the middle of fabrics I do have.
But you are making me rethink this.
Your little hezies are so cute. I'm sure they will bw fine.

Sherrill said...

WOW!! You already have your tree done! Very quick--and those hexies are SO pretty!!

Miriam said...

I love your version of Di Ford's mystery.

Great fabric shopping!!!

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Heather your Di Ford Mystery quilt is just stunning! Wow! I love how you improvised with the border hexies and I DO recognize that fabric! Love that Chelsea Boutique... Fabulous finds on your road trip too! Thanks for sharing!

MamaT said...

The appliqué block is beautiful. I like the shape of the leaves. So nice that you found the fabric you've been looking for !

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Gorgeous!! love those fabrics!