Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Just piecing

Wow, I can't believe it has been almost a week since I last posted. I have not done any hand sewing this week which is very unusual for me, but that doesn't mean I have not been busy sewing. Instead I have spent time in my sewing room doing some piecing. Hopefully this time away from hand stitching will give my wrist a much need rest. I find that sometimes a pain develops when I have been doing too much appliqué or embroidery and a little break is in order.

So here are the next few blocks that I am making for the McCall's Quilting Make It Your Way Quilt Along. First up are some little stripy squares. I started using random sized strips but soon came to the conclusion that I preferred those with the 1"cut strips. So they don't all look the same but that's OK.

Then those squares were used to make the corners of some star blocks. I think this is just such a fun block.

These 4 will make the center of the quilt and you can see a few more stars that will be used. I look forward to the next part on Friday as with each section I am liking this more.

I have also started work on the last part of Soupçon. I added this black border and like how it grounds things.

The final border is made using foundation paper piecing and I am slogging through this bit. Though I have done FPP before, this technique continues to be my quilting nemesis. I just really hate doing it even though I love the results. And in this one I was questioning those results as I made my way through this mess.

So now I have finished 2 of those borders and am thinking they look OK. So back to the sewing room to finish those last 2, I can see the end in sight! Maybe then I can reward myself with a little hand sewing.

 

10 comments:

Janet said...

Reward yourself with hand sewing :0) I so get that!! I love the stars with their string block corners - very nice! Your paper pieced triangles look fabulous! Keep going!! (I know - I hate paper piecing too)

Oops-Lah said...

You've been doing lots of machine sewing and everything looks great. I'm curious to see how the quilt along will come together. Love the next border of the Soupçon. Is that the lost round?

Angie in SoCal said...

I'm with you, Heather - that paper piecing is my nemesis also. But I love how your Soupçon is turning out. So coordinated and pretty. Makes me want to start another one once I finish my first. Karen did a super job with this one. Oh, and I like your string blocks too!

Mayleen said...

I like the Soupcon FPP border! I know it can be a pain but the results look so good. The part I dislike the most is taking the paper off.

Your string blocks with the star are wonderful too!

Barb said...

I am a messy person....things can be clean one minute and a mess the next....love what you are doing.

Rachaeldaisy said...

OOHHH I Love the string block setting for the stars!! It is so effective!! Soupcon is looking wonderful too, I'm really loving the colours you are using for that quilt!

Karen said...

Your work is so wonderful, I love both of these projects.

Kyle said...

I love both of your pieced projects, the relaxed whimsy of the strings and the elegance of the medallion. Sorry you have to do some FPP, I don't like it either. My brain gets all twisted around until I get with the rhythm, which happens very slowly.

Sheila said...

love your border, love your soupcon, full stop..I have found myself looking for fabrics with this colour scheme in mind.... Arghh not that i need another project

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Those points are so perfect. Love all those fabrics.