Monday, June 1, 2015

My girly retreat and Quilty Fun Christmas top

So, I have shared my new quilting space with you and figured I should finish the tour. Originally, when we were house hunting, we looked for a house that had a basement that could accommodate my quilting. The plan was that we would just finish the basement for quilting only and would have tons of room. When we found this house and saw the basement we realized that it had lots of potential to be much more than that so we planned to finish it as more living space as well as quilt studio. So far only two rooms have been done as DH is doing the work himself and he needed to pace himself and our budget. This sitting room is my girly space which I use to host my appliqué group, house my quilting library, do handwork and display some of my quilts. I had all the furniture left over from previous homes and it is my special girly space decorated to remind me of a beach cottage. Here is my view from the sewing room. I am so excited to be able to use my antique wicker sofa again. I think this quilt needs to be the next one quilted. The center is Auntie Geeen's quilt pattern from an old QuiltMania magazine. I added my own borders using some left over bonus HSTs from another project.

Here is my sewing library, though all the boxes of books are not yet unpacked and the shelves are not fully arranged yet. That floral chair is so comfortable that I refused to give it up in this move and it became the jumping off point for the decor of the space. I love to sit in it and do embroidery or read. I love having a handy hubby. All those built in bookshelves were made from IKEA Billy Bookcases to which he added moldings to make them built in. So cost effective and perfect for this weird little space.

Here is a view behind the white chairs in the first photo. I love my thatched roof dollhouse and hope to share it with my granddaughter when she is older. The quilt is hanging to cover the opening into what will be the bathroom and linen closet area. An unexpected air conditioning replacement has put a pause to the remodel but at least hanging the quilt means I have something nice to look at. I don't know the name of the pattern for the quilt, guess I better get those last quilt books unpacked as I am sure it came from a book.

Finally here is the view into my studio. We needed to add doors so that I would be able to close it off from little people and perhaps hide the mess. That little chest with the wicker drawers holds my embroidery supplies and my EPP papers.

I did get the main part of the Quilty Fun top done. I love the little embroidered details and the three dimensional bows on the wreaths. I am not doing the border until I decide on how I am using the fabric for a bed quilt. Then I will use those scraps for this border. Hope to get it all done for this Christmas season.

 

 

16 comments:

Phyllis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phyllis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phyllis said...

This looks wonderful, a lovely space! You will spend many happy hours there, I am sure!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Thanks for inviting us into your wonderful quilty space, just love it all. Your hubby has done a great job on the shelves with the moldings at the ceiling and the floor. Love the quilt in the doorway!

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a cozy room and it looks so bright and sunny. Your applique group is very fortunate to meet at your home.

Debra said...

What a beautiful, beautiful space!!!! You did a great job decorating it. I don't think I would ever come out!!! Enjoy

sunny said...

It's gorgeous! If I had that room, I would never leave it. I'm coming for a visit, so make up the guest room!!

Janet said...

What a beautiful space filled with beautiful quilts :0)

Bev said...

Perfect and awesome! Love your little quilt! Love your beautiful spaces. XO

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Heather,
love your sewing area, it is huge and lovely decorated.
You are already finished with th equilt fun top? Oh my what a cute quilt top.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Barb said...

Everything is so fresh and organized.....love the quilt and your spaces...

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I know that this all took awhile but how worth the wait and I've enjoyed the 'reveals'. That is one handy husband indeed! : )

Karen H said...

What a beautiful space to create and entertain. It really does have a beachy feel about it!

Rachaeldaisy said...

You excel at creating beautiful spaces that are elegant and welcoming. I'm impressed that your husband is doing the work. Your Quilty Fun top is so perfectly named, it really is fun!

Michele Hill said...

I am so jealous Heather! Your room is simply gorgeous…..you must be pinching yourself! Thanks for sharing x

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

How wonderful, invite me over please......