Friday, June 5, 2015

A Stonefields Update

It has been awhile since I have had the chance to work on my Stonefields quilt, my other current long term project. I had to pack up all the fabric to move into the new studio space and promptly got distracted by other things - as usual. But this week I knew I needed lots of appliqué prepped for some stitching days away from home so I pulled all the fabric out and prepped 9 blocks for appliqué. They aren't all stitched yet but I have several ready to share.

First up is this sweet Owl and Pussycat block. This is one of the blocks that originally drew me into this quilt. Such fun.

Then these 3 circle blocks. I would love to do a whole quilt with these, hmm I feel a distraction coming on.

And another simple flower.

Yesterday I tried to catch up with some of the pieced blocks. There are no rotary cutting instructions for these as the designer hand pieced them, so I need to work out my own cutting and piecing instructions as I go. Usually that goes pretty smoothly but this in this set I made a mistake, lots of ripping out before I got things right!

These Ohio star blocks were much simpler. I love the little "H" for Heather.

This was another block that went together pretty well. I am not fond of doing square in a square blocks so I am always happy if it turns out ok.

I also finished up the 176 flying geese blocks needed for the border of the quilt. I made a few extras in case I need them for color balance.

My quilt guild's quilt show is this coming week. I am looking forward to seeing some wonderful quilts as there is such a huge amout of talent in the guild. Hopefully I will remember to take pictures to share with you soon.

 

13 comments:

sunny said...

Such pretty blocks! I've been doing a lot more machine applique, but havent ventured into needleturn very much. Some day . . .

Kyle said...

Great progress. The owl and pussy cat block is adorable. And yes, the circle blocks would make a fantastic quilt. Too many distractions!

Tina said...

These are all just beautiful!!!!!

Judy Dietrich said...

I could see a whole quilt of the circle blocks too. The owl and pussycat block is adorable!! Glad you got these back out!!

Kath said...

I always enjoy seeing what you are making, your work is so pretty.
I did smile tho "I feel a distraction coming on" LOL I know that feeling so well :-D
Those blocks are lovely, I could get distracted by those too.

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love all these beautiful blocks!! I can definitely see how a quilt of those flower circles is very tempting!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Wow Heather,
your blocks look so beautiful. These are the blocks I will be working on next, the owl and cat block I have done already. You have prgressed to much on the project. All flying geese are done too, amazing.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Every Stitch said...

Gorgeous work! There is so much variety in the blocks of this quilt - must be such fun picking fabrics :)

Karen H said...

These little blocks are so pretty! I agree with Hilda - you must be having great fun picking fabrics for each block!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

these are all so cute...and I can see why you love the little boat block! :)

Gretchen Weaver said...

The blocks are beautiful. Your quilt is going to be lovely when completed.

audrey said...

Love seeing your new blocks. It's such a great project!

Unknown said...

Your Stonefields blocks really inspire me. I find choosing the fabrics for each block in this quilt the most time consuming and difficult part. Your blog is one of my "go to" sources of helpfull inspiration. Thank you !