Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Busy Prepping

Last week I realized that I had several opportunities to sit and stitch coming up but nothing was prepped. I get in a bit of a panic if I have no handwork ready to go so I spent some serious time getting things ready to go. First, I needed something to take to my Woolie group. I have been working along on a Sue Spargo BOM but I just wasn't in the mood to work on it so pulled out the book "My Enchanted Garden" by Gretchen Gibbons. The patterns in the book are to be enlarged by 200% but when I started to make the enlarged copies I realized that I didn't want to make something that big. I am really enjoying working smaller these days and decided to try and make the blocks just the size as printed. I am so happy I did. This is my first block finished.

And I have prepped 2 more blocks. I am using a mix of wool, cotton, silk and even ultra suede on linen. These are just so fun to do and at such a small size can be finished quickly.

My appliqué group has decided to work on a fun appliqué project. We are taking a Blackbird Designs pattern and reducing it to 1/2 size and several of us are making the same quilt. Thos is the pattern "Poisies in the Valley" from their book "In Full Bloom" which is now out of print. It will be fun to see how everyone interprets the same pattern. I had a few ideas of the direction I wanted to go but ended up doing version of my usual color palette as I think this will look nice in my livingroom. Next time I really need to do something different! Here are a few blocks prepped.

And a few more added to the mix. I even have a few stitched. You might notice that I have changed the arcs in one of the blocks in the photo below. This is why I love using my design wall, I can quickly see when something isn't working for me. The random fabrics on the wall are those I have chosen for the arcs in the last 4 blocks. Stupidly, I was not originally putting these on the wall as they were to be arranged in the quilt so I now must work to make sure I get the color balanced better.

I have also stitched a few more of the Stonefields blocks.

So right now I have a full design wall and my new studio is a mess with three separate piles of fabrics pulled to prep three projects. I think I need to get back to work so I can get this mess cleaned up!

 

 

24 comments:

Radka said...

I love all your blocks, so pretty :-)
I know exactly what you mean about not being prepared when the opportunity to stitch suddenly comes. I feel quite lost then :-)
xx

Janet said...

I love you usual color palette :0) I think your Blackbird project is going to be fabulous! Your design wall is full of lovely blocks.

Carli The Quilter said...

Love this prepping. I feel the same way when I have sitting time and no projecst prepped. Lovely stuff.

Debra said...

I am also working on My Enchanted Garden. I love your blocks in the smaller size. Beautiful. I wanted to make those Posies in the Valley blocks.. but can't find the book. Love your fabric choices! You certainly have plenty of handwork prepped now!

Kyle said...

Love all your prepping. I like your idea of reducing the poises in the valley. I need to look and see if I have that book. Blackbird patterns are always fun to do.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your design wall is a work of art in itself. All your stitching is lovely. Thanks so much for sharing.

moosecraft said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Your fabric/wool choices on these really enhance the design. And, I'm loving the idea of doing half-size versions of those two quilts! Blackbird Designs quilt books are still my favorites after all these years! :-) You're quite the inspiration... now I want the weekend here sooner so I can get to stitching too! lol! :-)

Barb said...

Wow so many lovely projects. Prepping - the unfortunate necessesity to hand work. I love your Posies in the valley blocks -they are so sweet and what pretty fabrics.

Karen said...

Interesting seeing the Blackbird Designs blocks in a smaller size. Their designs are often very large blocks. These are more manageable. Not so much to hold. And hopefully, faster to stitch.

Janet said...

Oh my, I love all of your projects. The Blackbird designs it nice. Makes me want to pull out my book and "look at it". Question, your bee block label, did that come out of a Lori Holt book? Thank you.
mudd4chewee@gmail.com

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love all of your blocks, especially the Blackbird Designs pattern. What a great idea to make the blocks smaller--I need to dig out my book!

Pine Valley Quilts said...

Beautiful projects, look forward to your progress.

Every Stitch said...

Beautiful, beautiful work! I like the idea of reducing the sizes too - means you can fit in more blocks and have a more compact quilt in the end - win win. I can relate to your panic when there is no handwork on the go ..that is why several projects at once makes perfect sense :)

Rachaeldaisy said...

You're design wall is full of so many gorgeous blocks. I always just want to say Wow when I see what you're working on.

Marie said...

LUV that Posies in the Valley pattern. Your work is just beautiful.

BizarreQuilter said...

Ayeeee!!! How wonderful!

I LOVE minis and I LOVE applique. It would be great to be in an applique group. I miss challenges like this. I wonder if I can find one online.

Lorraine

BizarreQuilter said...

Ayeeee!!! How wonderful!

I LOVE minis and I LOVE applique. It would be great to be in an applique group. I miss challenges like this. I wonder if I can find one online.

Lorraine

liz said...

Your design wall is full of very appealing blocks. Your colours are so pretty. Amazing applique too. I think making it smaller is harder than the intended size!

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Oh I just found your blog and Love it...your appliqué is beautiful and inspiring😊 Many hugs. Mary

Teresa Rawson said...

So many nice projects underway! Thank you for sharing and letting me pretend I am working right along with you, as the move has disrupted my quilting! I like the idea of working on the Posie project half sized...some of their blocks are so big! Your Stonefields quilt is really growing!

Karen H said...

I love seeing your design wall with all of the pretty WIPs displayed. You are really making quick work of Stonefields!

Tami Jones said...

I would be gracious if you would sell me your book Full Bloom or the pattern for Poses in the Valley. Very hard to fine. Thank you

Unknown said...

Would you be willing to sell me the pattern or book for FULL BLOOM POSIES IN THE VALLEY. I REALLY EANT TO MAKE THIS QUILT! THANKS

Jane K said...

Looking for the book by Blackbird Designs called In Full Bloom. Anyone know of anyone who has it and would like to sell it?
Contact me at jankwar@yahoo.com
Thank you!