Saturday, May 30, 2015

A Quilty Fun finish and a Quilty Fun Christmas start

It has been a busy week but I have had a little time to play in my new space. I finished the borders on my Quilty Fun row quilt. I had to actually purchase fabric for the borders, hard to believe I had nothing in my stash!

I decided to also make the scrappy binding as suggested in the pattern while I still had all the fabrics out. I think it is going to be the perfect finish though it was very time consuming. I guess that is why I have never done a scrappy binding before!

I even made this Bee Block to use as the label. Lori Holt often designs a cute block to use as a label and I think that is such a fun idea. I still need to add the embroidery and borders to finish it off.

And while I was still feeling the Quilty Fun, I decided to start my version of Quilty Fun Christmas. This was a free pattern that Lori Holt did on Instagram last year during the Christmas season. It uses many of the blocks from Quilty Fun and a few new blocks in a Christmas theme. Unfortunately I did not join in last year so finding all the instructions on Instagram is a little tricky but if you go to her Instagram profile page and scroll down far enough they are still there. Lori's blog Bee in My Bonnet is full of fun ideas and she is currently working with her new book "Farm Girl Vintage" but I have not yet jumped on that bandwagon. Anyway here are a few of my Christmas blocks. I had several fat quarters from a Riley Blake Christmas line from a few years ago so that was my jumping off point. The "red" is actually a dark orange, a unique color for Christmas but I am liking it.

A log cabin, tree and cup of cocoa. It was such fun discovering I had the perfect fabric for the house "logs" and tile roof.

Some mittens and an adorable gingerbread man. Yay, I had the perfect buttons and ric rac in my stash and doesn't that pink mitten fabric just look like knitting.

Let's add a peppermint stick and some Christmas lights. I had to cut that stripe on the bias to make it work.

A star, tree ornament, a candle and some pinwheels (happily made from some bonus triangles from a previous project).

A gift and a cute snowman. The snowman was actually the label block but I had to put it on the front, just too cute.

Just a few more blocks and some embroidery to go. I plan on just finishing this as a small wall hanging and then will make a larger simple quilt to be used as the matching bed quilt. All of these quilts will be for my granddaughter, I am just having so much fun sewing for a little girl at last!

 

 

10 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Your Quilty Fun has turned out lovely and the scrappy binding will be the perfect. And great start on a colourful Christmas quilt! Less than seven month to the next Holiday season ;)!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Your finished top and the started Quilty Fun blocks look just beautiful. Love your color choices, looks so fresh.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Dolores said...

What fun projects. I always enjoy making things for my grandchildren. Now that you have your sewing things all set up, there's no excuse to not finish things. Do you have a comfy chair for doing your embroidery?

Radka said...

I love your finished quilt, it is such a happy one :-)
xx

Anonymous said...

Your quilts are very pretty! I've quilted a few of these and keep saying I need to make them for my someday grands! Just darling and will be such a wonderful gift for yours.

BizarreQuilter said...

oh! such fun colours! I love the whimsy of Quilty Fun... and Christmas? Oh yes please!!!

Looking forward to more updates.

Karen H said...

What happy quilts. Love the turquoise border on your Quilty Fun row quilt!

Janet said...

They are all so cute. I especially like the Bee. Your border is fantastic. Are these all paper pieced? Thank you for sharing and happy sewing.

Bev said...

Everything you've done is adorable! I love your fabric choices! XO

Judy Dietrich said...

These two quilts are adorable!! I really like the border on your first quilt. The binding will just add so much. The gingerbread man is a favorite one in your Christmas blocks!!