Saturday, July 4, 2015

My Mystery gone astray

To celebrate both Canada Day and July 4th I decided to do a little red and white sewing this week. I belong to 2 quilt guilds and one of them has a mystery quilt project. A new clue is give each month and by the end of the year we will end up with a quilt. This year's mystery required only two fabrics with good contrast, though you could go scrappy, and size is determined by the size of your pieces. I have wanted a red and white quilt for a long time and thought this would be the perfect chance. Our first clue had us making lots and lots of either HSTs or flying geese units. Mission accomplished and then I went searching online to look at Red and White quilts. Oh dear, I saw a quilt I just loved and hoped that my mystery would be that quilt. Another look at the second clue and I knew it was not to be. But I just could not get that quilt out of my head. So I decided to to figure out how to do it and started making components.

It is basically an Irish Chain and I am using the Flying Geese in the sashing sections to make the stars appear.

It is pretty small as I am using 1" finished squares. Once this all gets sewn together there will be a few very simple borders and I will have a great little throw or large table topper, perfect for Canada Day, July 4th, Christmas or even Valentines Day.

Now I think I might have to go back do the mystery in Blue and White!

Finally, I just wanted to share these lovely hydrangeas. These grow in my backyard but I can't see them where they are growing so they are perfect for cutting for indoors!

 

 

14 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That's the best gone astray I've seen : )

Oops-Lah said...

I love it; somehow it reminds me a bit of the Norwegian quilt which is popping up all over the Internet.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

How neat!

audrey said...

Too funny.:) But how wonderful your alternate project looks!

Janet said...

What a gorgeous red and white "mystery"- lol! It's so striking - I love it! Perfect for Canada Day :0)

Every Stitch said...

I just love what you have done with the "mystery-that-evolved" - a mystery that evolved into a gorgeous quilt! and it sounds like a very versatile size too. I always bring bunches of my hydrangeas indoors too- and sometimes they stay in water so long that they start to grow. Love the soft mauves of your little bunch :)

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your red and white quilt is beautiful. I'm piecing a blue and white quilt now, they are elegant too.

Kyle said...

Funny how one thing will lead to another. Your R&W is lovely. It's a wonderful design.

moosecraft said...

Gorgeous quilt! And I love those hydrangeas!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Wonderful red and white pattern. Love what you have figured out all by yourself.
Greetings,
Sylvia

LuAnn said...

I love the direction you took with the red and white.

Janet said...

Love your mystery quilt (red and white quilts are my favorite). That is such a nice way to enjoy your hydrangeas. Thank you for sharing.

Janet said...

Love your mystery quilt (red and white quilts are my favorite). That is such a nice way to enjoy your hydrangeas. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

I would love to make a Red and White quilt!! I love yours!! Could you please share w me your pattern. It’s exactly what I’m looking for Thanks!!