Monday, June 29, 2015

Hand piecing

Saturday I had the pleasure of attending a hand piecing class with Mickey Depre. The class was based on the Castle Wall block and as it was one I had seen recently and admired I was happy to sign up for the class. Mickey is a great teacher and I learned a few new tips and was even able to complete my block in class.

It was really fun fussy cutting fabrics for this block and I am thrilled with how it turned out. This will be another block to add to my bright sampler quilt and I have even prepped another block as I had already cut a second set of the striped fabric in class. I changed my mind on one of the fabrics during class and decided that the stripe need to change too.

This is the set of templates we used for the class. It makes a 9" block and using them made the process very easy. We traced both inside and outside the template and cut on the outside line while the inside line was the stitching line. The templates are perfect for fussy cutting too.

My mind is now swirling with ideas for a full sized quilt using this pattern. Hmm, what fabric direction should I choose?

And speaking of hand piecing, here is a top that I hand pieced a few years ago. I am trying to work through my pile of UFOs and this top is screaming for a border.

 

 

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Love those Castle Wall blocks! I haven't used templates in quite a while; did you rotary or mark and scissor cut? I am having shoulder problems when I rotary cut....
even with new blade...so am thinking of going back to my "old methods"....hugs, Julierose

Mayleen said...

Now that's a class I'd like to take! Nice Castle Wall block and I love the UFO. Looking forward to seeing what fabric you pick for the border!

Radka said...

Beautiful blocks, very unusual :-)
xx

Kyle said...

Fantastic new blocks and your UFO is awesome. Have fun looking for the perfect border.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Alway great to attend a good class. Love your handsewing block and the top is just beautiful, gorgeous handwork.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Tania said...

Love your blocks, such fantastic colours! Your quilt top is lovely too.

Cheri said...

Beautiful block, it looks like a whole new piece of fabric, your fussy cutting is so perfect. The UFO is wonderful, I am screaming "find a border", it is just to pretty not to finish :)

Unknown said...

The fussy cutting really makes this block shine. Using strips always is a great idea to make a block look great. Your handwork is gorgeous.

Karen H said...

Beautiful castle wall blocks. They look like they were fun to make.

That old quilt top REALLY deserves to be finished because it is a stunner!

Karen said...

The quilt top is gorgeous!

Debra said...

Great job on the Castle Wall blocks... but that quilt top is AWESOME! Wow-wee! I would love to be able to hand piece like that!

Barb said...

Your quilt top is just fabulous!

Lola said...

Hi Barb...I just started hand piecing and LOVE IT!!!!
What is the name of the UFO pattern? I would love to get it.
thank you and love your blog
Lola