Thursday, July 9, 2015

Di Ford Mystery, Part 6 begins

For the last several months I have been enjoying my Di Ford Mystery, Mountmellick, quilt top displayed over my fireplace. Although I would much prefer to hang a finished top, sometimes seeing the unfinished one eventually spurs me on to a finish as is the case with this one.

If you are familiar with this quilt, which was last year's mystery quilt in Quiltmania magazine, you know that part 6 has lots of EPP to do before the border can be assembled. Just over a week ago I decided to tackle the EPP only to discover that I did not have the correct paper pieces for the 36 stars. So instead I began with the corners and ordered the "jewel" pieces from Paper Pieces. Here are the finished corners.

And once the papers arrived I began making stars. I decided to do a little fussy cutting with these stars and am pretty pleased with how they are looking.

Once the stars are made they need to be appliqued to the background. I like to remove the papers before appliquing so I give the star a quick spray with Best Press, iron on both sides and then remove the papers. A tiny dab of Roxanne's Glue Baste and they are glued in place on the background square. While I do sometimes use a glue stick to baste my EPP I find that it is easier to thread baste these tiny pieces in the corners only. By not basting throughout the paper and punching a hole in the papers before using they are easy to pop out.

I like to finger press the diagonal lines on the square to help with placement for these. By making sure that the tip points are going in the direction of my stitching (I am left handed) these are easy to appliqué in place. I do trim the tips as I come to them so there won't be so much extra fabric to tuck under.

And here is the quilt on the design wall with some of the finished stars in place. I am waiting til all the stars are complete before cutting all the setting triangles as I am still deciding on fabrics for those. And on the right is the border I am planning to use. I wish I had used a darker teal fabric for the center swags but I love the border enough to make it work.

I did finish piecing my Red and White quilt, a little late for the July 4th and Canada Day holiday but hopefully it will be quilted before Christmas.

Finally another little Stonefields sunflower block. I couldn't resist making one more!

 

14 comments:

sunny said...

Busy busy! I always love seeing your beautiful applique projects!

Kyle said...

You have made some fantastic stars for the final border. I'm going to remember your great idea of punching s hole in the paper template for easy removal. I never thought of that. The border you chose will look good. My blues changed too from the centre to a bit more teal on the outer edges. If I had known about needing a border print for the final border, I bet we would have all gotten it first and worked our color palette off of that. Oh, well, that's the down side of mysteries. The red and white quilt is truly lovely and so classic.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Heather,
just have to comment that you do make beautiful projects. Love the pics of them in your post. Lovely you explain how you are doing things. We can always learn from each other. Thank you.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Karen H said...

I adore the stars for the border. Your quilt is going to be gorgeous with all the berry colours you've used. The new Stonefield's block is so intricate. I'm looking forward to seeing another picture of all the blocks (hopefully in the hear future)!

Linda Cates said...

Thank you for the detailed instruction. I'm a novice and like soaking up all the tips I can on applique and EPP. I enjoy your blog. Thanks so much!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Looking good! I am now getting ready to start on 2014 projects - never hurts to be a late comer! Enjoy your work!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Love your progress on the Di Ford quilt and your red and white quilt is beautiful! I do exactly the same thing with my paper pieces. It doesn't seem to take any more time and I like to reuse my papers. I found a tiny hole punch enough to pull up just a few threads and the papers don't slip--otherwise I would sometimes end up with a very scant seam allowance opposite from where I started--lol!

Tania said...

Such beautiful sewing. Montmellick is a gorgeous quilt, yours is going to be really beautiful, and I love your red and white quilt.

Judy Dietrich said...

Your stars are very pretty. The fussy cutting really makes them even more stunning. I like your border fabric too. Oh, and that one block from the pattern that will not be named ( still have not bought it!! ). The red and white is very striking. It will be fun to see what design you will quilt into it!!

A Nudge said...

Montmellick is looking fabulous. That is an awesome border. Thank you for sharing your process with us. All the other projects are gorgeous also.

taylorsoutback said...

Happy to have found your blog by way of Kyle's...have been following your mystery quilt progress on our Di Ford group and now get to see extra details! Your quit is looking wonderful - love your fabric choices and the stars will just sparkle! Keep going - that final border seemed to take awhile with all its stages but before you know it - you have a finish!!

gretchenscorner said...

Your Red and White quilt is so pretty; crisp and fresh looking. Another stonefields blocks. I love those! I admire everyone who is creating Di Fords mystery quilt. You will have a family heirloom to treasure. Everything is so inspiring.

Karen said...

The red and white quilt is striking.

Janet said...

Love all your projects. You are amazing. I was bored at work the other day and went through your whole blog - cannot believe all of the amazing projects you have made - all so different and difficult. Just amazing. Thank you for sharing. As always I look forward to your next post.