This has been a busy stitching week and yesterday I finally had a chance to cut the setting triangles for my Di Ford Mystery, Mountmellick. In the original quilt the final border is red so I have really had to think about color placement while selecting colors since I changed my border to a teal fabric. I am really learning a lot about color, design and attention to details with this quilt. Di seems to excel at these things and in trying to select fabrics to enhance her design I am paying more attention myself. Today I pieced 2 of the borders, can't wait to get to the other 2 soon. It turned out a little darker than I intended but I do really like it. And isn't it weird how light the center background looks - it is the same fabric used in the background for the stars in the final border yet looks so much lighter!
One of the things that has kept me busy has been helping my DIL finish a quilt for her brother's wedding. She finished sewing the top before the wedding but didn't have time to get it quilted so this week she came over to make the backing. We decided to add a pieced section to make the quilt reversible and to save fabric.
I rarely make quilts this big, it is 87 x 91", so I was a bit nervous to quilt it. I ended up doing a simple all over paisley design and think it worked out well. Now to get it trimmed and the binding put on. Thankfully, DIL will be doing the hand stitching on the binding on this one.
Really happy to have this quilt off my plate, I am anxious to start quilting some UFOs of my own.