Friday, August 5, 2011

Another finish

This week I have been practicing on my longarm "Annie" and we are really starting to bond. Though my quilting is by no means terrific, I am seeing some improvement and that gave me the confidence to quilt this appliqued quilt. The pattern is from the book Ruby Red Dots and I eliminated the outside border so it would be a better size for hanging. I made the top last year to hang in my kitchen at Christmas - not really a Christmas quilt but the colors seem to be of the season and will fit in well with my black, yellow and white French inspired kitchen. I was rather unsure about thread color and settled on a goldish thread which looks OK. Probably should have used 2 different colors but live and learn.
I outlined the applique as best as I could and then did an allover scroll type design in the background of each applique and star block. Then I quilted a larger meandering scroll in each of the borders. Oh and I quilted in the ditch around each block - not sure I would do that again. Since I am really trying to improve my machine quilting I would love to know what you think!

3 comments:

LuAnn said...

Hi Heather Your applique' and quilting are just gorgeous. I just became a follower of your blog, too, and want to come back when I can spend more time. I would have emailed, but your email comes in as a no reply blogger. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Nice to "meet" you.

Anonymous said...

Just one word, beautiful!

Cheers,
Bobbbie

Eileen said...

Heather, your quilting looks great! Doing stitch in the ditch stabilizes each block plus it looks more finished. What size is your ruler?
If you want to practice, get some cheater cloth and quilt it as if it's got seams, etc. Use a contrasting thread so you can see where your wobbles are.
HTH