Sunday, April 21, 2013

Another Bird block and a starry start

Well much has happened since my last post but I'll start with the quilty bits. I am still working away on the bird blocks for Birdsong. Since most of the finished ones look pretty similar I am just posting one to give you an idea of the color direction. Half the blocks will have black birds and the other half will have teal birds. The flowers and berries will be shades of red and pink and of course there are lots of green leaves. Nice easy appliqué witch is certainly appreciated right now.

And I have started piecing these little 4 1/2 stars that will be used in a long range project. I have had the pattern for Phebe by Di Ford for a few years now and have been collecting fabrics ever since. Though I have not begun the appliqué, I thought I might get a jump on piecing the little stars. They are meant to be rather scrappy but so far I am not sure about the colors. I think I probably should be starting with the appliqué but I think it will work out as long as I just stick with all the fabric I have pulled. I do find it much easier to work in a very controlled color palette but I want this to look a bit more happenstance to we will see where this takes me.

I hesitate to give any more house updates cause things change daily but here is how things stand right now. Our first buyer had to pull out after finding out his job was at risk, the house was put back on the market and we got an offer the first day. We are under contract again and just waiting to see how this one goes. And in an unfortunate turn of events, my knee went out on Thursday and I ended up in the emergency room and unable to straighten my leg or bear weight. That evening I was improved enough to brace the knee and hobble around so tomorrow I head to the doctor for a possible MRI. Kinda hard to do much, but at least I can still hand sew!



14 comments:

Carrie P. said...

weelll, that is not fun at all, your knee. I hope you find out what is going on soon and you get better quickly. Hope all goes well with the new contract too.
love your blocks.

Karen said...

I like this bird, especially the wing fabric.

Cardygirl said...

The appliqué and stars look great. Sorry to hear about the knee...use it as enforced rest xxx

Carla said...

Your appliqué is just beautiful ; )

Every Stitch said...

So sorry to hear about the knee - hope it is fixed up soon. But on the bright side that might mean less housework and more hand sewing time :)
Your applique block is lovely - never tire of seeing these lovely CWB blocks. And a lovely collection of stars. Are they hand pieced or by machine?
Hilda

Julierose said...

Oh so sorry about your knee problems! Love your bird and stars--feel better soon...Julierose

audrey said...

Love your applique bird block. Such a great mix of fabric. Good luck with your knee getting better soon.

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Oh my! Things have been like a roller coaster for you I think! So glad the house had another offer and hopefully this will be the winning offer. Sure hope your knee is ok. Will think of you tomorrow and hope for the best! Your birds and stars look great!

Donna~~ said...

You make the prettiest things--both your stars and birds are wonderful! I, too, have Phebe, but could never decide on colors--perhaps you will inspire me, although I am not sure I have the stamina for such a project. I am glad your house found another offer--hope it works out. Had my knee go out 3 times in a row, four years ago, but they didn't think surgery was needed, and so far it's been ok. Hope yours isn't serious and that you are able to get back to sewing with both feet and hands! :)

Rachaeldaisy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your knee! As you say, at least you can sew. Your bird block is beautiful!! I love the Phoebe pattern and will enjoy seeing your interpretation of it. Those stars are wonderful, I recently got some of the fabric in the center of the star in the middle of the bottom row, it's so pretty.

Miriam said...

I love your bird and the star blocks.

Good luck with the sale of your house.

I do hope your knee heals quickly! Take care

Mayleen said...

So sorry to hear about your knee injury and I hope it heals very quickly!

Those are great Phebe star blocks! I've been thinking of making them along side the applique but haven't gotten started on them yet.

Keeping you and the sale of the house in my prayers!

Michelle said...

Fabric therapy is in order... A nice cup of tea, a comfy chair and a good movie. I hope your knee is much better this morning.

Jane in Cumbria said...

Oh, what a beautiful bird block! So sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it will be better soon!