Thursday, November 5, 2015

The last of the Antique Wedding Sampler blocks

My journey with the Antique Wedding Sampler is sadly nearing the end. Sad, because I have enjoyed this project so much that I hate to see it ending. But, of course, I am excited to be close to a finished top and have had to start thinking about putting it all together. But first the last of the blocks.

Here is Block 22. I was excited when I found the center fabric in my stash. I had not pulled it originally because there was a yellow background surrounding ovals of blue and white and I didn't really even consider using it. But I am happy I remembered the fabric and had a chance to add this little Chinese pagoda. Those corner broderie perse motifs also came from that collection and had a yellow background. Sometimes you just have to be brave and give it a try!

Block 24. Not my favorite block but I do love that fabric in the leaves. Wish I had noticed it in my stash a little earlier in the process.

And finally Block 25. The fish/carp is a popular Chinese motif and I was happy to get a final bit of Asian influence in the quilt. I really like how this block turned out, another favorite!

Before these blocks were completed, I began the process of arranging the blocks on my design wall. I can't show photos because I stupidly deleted them all before this post, but let's just say there was lots of rearranging. I am not sure it this will be the final placement but I think I am close. And I also cut my sashing and cornerstones and after much deliberation, my setting triangles. The original pattern has broderie perse in those setting triangles and I was planning to do that using this fan motif.

But as I started putting my sashing and cornerstones up I started thinking about just using the focus fabric as the setting triangles instead. I just love the print and had used it in several of the blocks as broderie perse but nowhere in the quilt could I see the actual fabric. I figured I would cut just a few triangles and see how it looked compared to the broderie perse and I loved the results. I prefer how it finishes the quilt and love that the print is now highlighted. I feel almost guilty for forgoing the broderie perse in those setting triangles but know this is a better choice for me!

Now if only I can figure out how to use my stripe fabric for the final border!

 

19 comments:

Dolores said...

It sounded as if there are two block #24s.
Since my favourite colour is blue, I am drawn to this quilt. It's gorgeous. What's the finished size?

Karen said...

Gorgeous. So Dutch looking in style and color.

Judy Dietrich said...

This is gorgeous Heather. The blues are just stunning together. The arrangement is so well balanced. I have seen a few of these made up online & this is by far the best color combination. The focus fabric is just perfect for the setting triangles!! You rock!!

Emily Breclaw said...

What a masterpiece! I think the print is perfect for the setting triangles!!

Janet said...

That looks fabulous!! I love the focus fabric in the setting triangles! Your fussy cutting and Broderie perse is wonderful :0)

audrey said...

Beautiful work with this quilt! The fabric for the setting triangles is just perfect!

Julierose said...

What a beautiful quilt--you have really outdone yourself with this one. I love blue/white and especially those Chinese prints sprinkled throughout...hugs, Julierose

marina said...

Such an amazing quilt. The blues are so beautiful. Love the fabric you have gone with for the edges it frames it perfectly.
Happy sewing

Janet said...

Just gorgeous. Could you use broderie perse on the corners? Again your applique and fabric choices are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Cheri said...

Stunning Heather, one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen.

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Oh wow!!! Your AWS is just stunning and has been very inspirational for me as I am now making a blue and cream version. The traingle fabric looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I love it! This is beautiful and so inspiring. This quilt is definitely on my 'to do' list now. Can't wait to see her sewn together and then how you quilt her. Gretchen

Aunt 'Reen said...

Congratulations on such an exquisite finish!
I love your quilt in these wonderful china blues.
Your quilt will be magnificent.

Kath said...

Breath-taking! I love the fabric setting triangles, a perfect choice.
I know what you mean, I feel sad when I get to the end of a quilt.

Karen H said...

You have outdone yourself with these last three blocks. They are outstanding and I'm sitting here drooling over your quilt. I think that you made a good choice using that lovely print in the side setting triangles. The broderie perse would have also been nice that that fabric is gorgeous and it deserves to be seen uncut!

Flickenstichlerin said...

What a beautiful setting for the Antik Wedding Sampler. Wonderful blocks, very nicely done.
Greetings,
Sylvia

sko_G knits said...

this is ga-ga-gorgeous!!

Annelein said...

Wauw... it is just great! Love the colours off the fabric...

Julee said...

love it! Beautiful