Saturday, October 3, 2015

Some quilting, some embroidery and some blue and white

Another road trip is behind me and I am finally back to some fun stitching. This was a trip to check in on DH's aging parents and all I can say is that I am so happy that I have my sewing to keep me going during these times! This trip I worked on this little embroidery, Welcome Home by Kathy Schmitz. The original embroidery was done in all black but I decided to add touches of teal to go with the border fabric. I ended up hand quilting it and think it is sweet on this little stand.

I have also been working on the hand quilting of Mountmellick, the Quiltmania mystery quilt by Di Ford. I ended up doing an echo quilting for the background fill. I was originally planning a crosshatch but decided I didn't feel like marking. Hmm, now to decide how to do the first border.

And I have completed a few more of the blocks for the Antique Wedding Sampler by Di Ford. Here is Block 17.

And Block 19. I was thrilled to be able to find a place to use this Asian toile, I love the pagoda style building. I think those little butterflies need to antennas added.

Today I finished the last machine pieced block in the quilt, Block 23. Unfortunately there were a few errors in the directions for this block. Two of the templates were marked with the wrong dimensions and the layout diagram was incorrect for one of the HST units. Fortunately I figured out the measurement issues as I was figuring out the rotary cutting measurements but sadly did not notice the incorrect HST unit until I showed it to DH who noticed right away that the block looked weird. Oh well, all fixed now.

 

11 comments:

Radka said...

All of your work here is really nice, so well made :-)
xx

Julierose said...

Golly, you do beautiful work, i like all of these! that embroidery on that little stand is spectacular! Hugs, Julierose

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Heather,
you have so many wonderful projects going on, one prettier then the other.
Such beautiful stitching. I am in awe.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Barb said...

pretty blue and white pieces. The little embroidery piece is so charming.
Your echo quilting looks beautiful!

Karen said...

I like your embroidery piece and the color chosen. I am working on a Kathy Schmitz embroidery piece but using black thread.

Kyle said...

Despite traveling you've been accomplishing a lot. Love the stitchery and that little bit of teal really highlights the design. Your echo quilting fills in the background beautifully and, of course, your growing pile of blue and white blocks are gorgeous.

Susan said...

Our stitching gets us through lots of things! The stitchery looks so cute on the hanger, I need to find one of those. Gorgeous quilting, it's a perfect choice for the centre.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh your Di Ford blocks are breathtaking!

Barb said...

Oh my gosh...i tis alllll sooo amazing!!

Angie in SoCal said...

Such beautiful work, HEather. And while traveling! It is always a pleasure to come see what you are creating.

Aunt 'Reen said...

All of your projects are beautiful!
You are making wonderful progress on your Wedding Sampler and the blocks are breathtaking to look at!