Saturday, November 22, 2014

Quilt Doodles BOM 2014

I finally was able to take a photo of my finished Quilt Doodles BOM today. While it is not yet quilted, I have completed most of the embellishments and assembly of the top. I do have one other embellishment idea that need to be added after quilting but that will just have to wait.

If you have been following along with this BOM you will see that I did stray from the designers pattern. One thing about a mystery, you never know what is coming next and in this case I started having a vision for the quilt about 1/2 way in. We started with the snowman heads and I decided to use bright colors thinking this would be a fun winter or Christmas quilt for one of the grandkids. I was happy with the stars, trees and house and had decided to add some snowflakes and little snowmen early on. The ice skates threw me for a loop but I thought they were cute and decided that my little grandson would like them so I happily sewed them together. June's row was steaming cups, adorable but not what I wanted in a quilt for a little guy so I decided to draft some mitten blocks instead and the idea of dressing a snowman was born.

I skipped the next two rows, candy and Christmas lights, and instead made some woolen hats, (toques in Canada where I grew up) with yoyos for the pompons.

I had such fun creating borders to look like striped scarves and adding snowflakes in the corners.

My snowflakes, snowmen and deer were cut from wool felt on a die cut machine and appliqued by had with a tiny whip stitch. I love the bit of texture that they add but I am not sure how well they will stand up to machine washing so for now, the quilt will stay at Grammie's house. A fun Christmas quilt for the guest room.

 

11 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Love your quilt doodles BOM, and the embellishments really add to it. Nice job.

carol fun said...

Absolutely adorable! Love every bit of it!

audrey said...

Wow! Love your special little touches to the quilt, dressing the snowmans!!

Every Stitch said...

It is just delightful Heather! I am sure your grandkids are going to love it! The snow scene with the snowflakes and trees is so pretty :)

sunny said...

It's adorable, Heather! Your special touches make it just perfect.

Barb said...

wow! wonderful winter quilt - what a lot of love went in to the details!

Julierose said...

this is such an adorable quilt; I wish you could get all the patterns at once...nice finish in those details...loving those dressed snowmen..hugs, Julierose

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Just darling Heather -- certainly a fun quilt for any little person to love. Take good care, Karen

Donna~~ said...

It turned out wonderfully, Heather! I've been thinking of adding some hats and mittens to mine to make it a bit longer, and it's nice to see that they work nicely. Did you use a pattern for them or draft them yourself?

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Sew cute!!

Raewyn said...

Such a fun quilt - you'll be glad you went with your instincts and changed it up - perfect! I'm loving your Di Ford mystery too!!