Friday, December 2, 2011

A Quilter's Home at Christmas

 I've so enjoyed seeing everyone's Christmas decor that I thought I would give you a little tour of my home decorated with quilts this Christmas.  This one on the couch is made from leftover scraps from the Christmas quilt over the fireplace, as is the pillow.  But the quilt really lives on the ottoman shown below as a cover from the crazy Yorkshire terrier who bosses us around and who loves to scratch and destroy stuff.
 I've shown this one before but now the mantel is complete.

 Here is our little woodland display on the top of the entertainment unit.  I always have quilts folded on the shelf but I think I need to make a red and white quilt to add here.

And here is the view into the dining room. It isn't a Christmas quilt there but the colors work and the stripes sorta read Christmas candy cane to me.

See that Christmas tree quilt on the back of the chair. It is one of my very early quilts, probably around 1987 and one of my first machine quilting projects.  And next to it in the basket is the red and green Whig Rose that I am currently hand quilting.  I love how these old and new projects work together.

 This is in my kitchen. Again not a Christmas quilt but I did make it to use at Christmas time.  It is called Ruby Red Dots and the book is still available.  But on the chair a tiny Christmas pillow from the late 80's.  Back then I also made lots of Santas and there is one on the table that is made with fabric that was stiffened and then painted.

Here is a 4 ft. stuffed Santa made sometime in the early 90s.

 And a couple more.  I made the one with the little teddy bear when I was living in England in 1986. He is probably the first one I made and I made a different Santa every year for several years.

 I didn't make this one, he is a little fellow from my husband's childhood and my husband's uncle made the sleigh.  I haven't really seen all this stuff for a few years because life got in the way of our normal Christmas celebrations. I am enjoying the memories that all these things bring back.

   Oh and this wouldn't be a tour of a quilter's home at Christmas without seeing what most quilter's really see this time of year.

The mess of the season!

Happy Stitching

11 comments:

Heather said...

Just testing my comments cause I've been told people are having trouble leaving comments.

Donna~~ said...

Your home is so lovely! I'd love to just come and sit and enjoy the beauty of it!

SewCalGal said...

What beautiful Christmas Quilts you have.

If you have time this weekend, hop on over to the Christmas Quilt Show. Door prize, Quilt Show Entry prizes, Viewers Choice Awards and more will be awarded on Monday.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Lana H. said...

Just want to comment on your adorable snowmen. Love your color palette. And your home is beautiful--so Christmas-y cheery!

Sandra Kaye said...

Thanks for coming over to my blog...Wow , your home is just homey and pretty too. and I don't even want to think about what my art room looks like!!??! yikes!! Hugs

Janet said...

So many lovely quilts all over your home. It looks very Christmasy. I love the idea of making a Santa every year and might start to do that one of these years. My favourite is the Ruby Red Dots quilt.

What Comes Next? said...

Thank you for the tour - you have a lovely home with lots of marvelous quilts. I love your Santa Claus' too!

Rachaeldaisy said...

You have such wonderful Christmas decorations. Your dining room is the perfect colour for Christmas! I really love your rooster quilt!

Megan said...

hahahaha, oh so true. The rest of our houses may be beautifully decorated for the holidays, but many sewing rooms are in woeful disarray. Your house is lovely! I would never get tired of that red dining room.

Nat Palaskas said...

Your house is beautiful Heather. I favorite is the red wall! We have almost the same wooden hutch you have. Happy Holiday. Best time for quilter! Hugs Nat

Mary said...

I loved looking at your Christmas decorations. Thanks for sharing them with us. You do lovely work.