Thursday, July 31, 2014

Catching up with Jane

The piecing continues as I play catch up with the Austen Family Album block of the week by Barbara Brackman. I am still a bit behind but I did manage to put 4 more blocks together. Whenever possible I am trying to make fabric selections that will remind me of Jane Austen and her novels but not every block seems to lend itself to the concept. But I still had fun with these and in the last block I was able to include a bit of toile with a girl playing what might be a pianoforte. She reminds me of Darcy's sister Georgianna in Pride and Predjudice. I love using the tiny dot fabric too as it reminds me of the sashing fabric of the quilt made by Jane herself. These details are really just for my own amusement but they certainly add fun little memories for me.

I really do enjoy working on sample style quilts. It is a pleasure to select the fabric for each block though it can be tricky to make sure the whole quilt remains balanced. I am still not sure how I will set these but I put them all up on the design wall just to see how they were looking together.

Finally I have been playing with the batiks that I showed in a previous post. I made a bunch of simple hour glass blocks from one set of charm squares and some added fabrics. It is looking a little darker than I had hoped but I am still working out a plan for these so I am ok with them. I don't think I am a big batik fan yet but I do love the colors.

 

3 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

great progress; it's looking wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I had to put a few of my project aside due to my step-son's terminal cancer. When I started the Austen quilt I did mine in 6" blocks. I like the colors in the first block. the quilt is coming together well. Sure do like those batiks. I used to not like batiks, but then got hooked. Now hooked on Reproductions... Humm
Great work - keep on keeping on.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Hi Heather, I need assistance on the "no reply" blogger.

I will do this one with google and see what happens

Maybe providing the email does it?