Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Quilting with my SIL

This year my SIL, who lives many states away from me in Texas, and I had fun completing a project together for our In-laws. It was fun for both of us and when we finished we decided it would be fun to continue quilting "together. Our first project was the Aiming for Accuracy Quilt along and it was great fun sharing each other's progress each week. She finished her project on time and even has it quilted! Unfortunately my back surgery delayed my progress but I am almost finished. Just borders to add now.

So once we finished that project it was time to find another. Though I have never participated in Bunnie Hunter's mystery quilt alongs before I had read about them and wanted to give that a try. My SIL was in and we decided to start the Celtic Solstice Mystery in Jan. But the allure was too strong for both of us and we instead began yesterday. The quilt along started the Friday after Thanksgiving and you can find the details through Bonnie Hunter' blog Quiltville's Quips & Snips. Wow, there is lots of cutting and sewing in these blocks and my rulers were slightly different than the Tri Recs rulers that Bonnie is using so I am hoping that my blocks are OK. I am using Marti Michelle's rulers and they recommend cutting off lots of corners before sewing. Seems to be fine but I am not loving all the extra cutting. So, I finally have 20 units sewn, out of 188 and about 2/3 of the cutting done. I worked almost all day and this is only part one so lots more work to do. Sure hope I like the quilt as I have also changed up the colors from Bonnie's recommendations.

So is anyone else working on this mystery? I actually am having fun and if this quilt is as interesting as Bonnie's previous mysteries, I should love it!

 

6 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Love your top and I agree, it's so much more fun to quilt with someone else, even if you are miles and miles apart. Somehow it helps me to keep on track. I was temped to give the mystery quilt a go (a friend of mine is doing it here) but with Christmas and travelling upon me, I just don't have the time. Maybe another time.

Judy H. said...

I am doing the mystery, but I am definitely not keeping up. Having fun so far, and I love Bonnie's patterns, so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Mayleen said...

Love your color combination! I've made "Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll", one of Bonnie's mystery quilts - lots of pieces but worth it in the end! I'm looking forward to seeing what this quilt will be.

Angie in SoCal said...

You go girls!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- can't wait to see your mystery unfold. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to put in all that work for an unknown end -- too much fear of not liking it LOL. I love the pretty, bright colors in that first quilt picture!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love your accuracy blocks. Do you think they helped your accuracy in piecing? I've always wondered about doing a mystery quilt. I'm sure all that cutting will be worth it in the long run. I'm sure the colours you've chosen will work, you have a real knack for picking great colours.