So here is how I did it. As always, I am just showing what worked for me and by no means suggesting that this is the only way to approach these hearts. First I cut out the pattern of the heart from freezer paper. Using the same piece each time, I ironed the pattern piece to each piece of fabric, on the right side, and then traced around the pattern using a Frixion pen. Oops, I did not take a photo of this step or the next but nothing new here. I then put my background fabric over the pattern on my light box and glue basted each piece in place making sure not to glue near the points. I did make sure to mark the center point of the background with the pen so I knew where the point of the first heart should be sewn.
Before I began stitching anything I pinned all the points back before I started stitching. I didn't start taking photos when I first started but hopefully you can see what I mean.
I made sure to stitch hearts opposite each other as I went as it is much easier to match the center that way. I pinned each point in place before stitching and began my stitching about 1/2 inch or so before the point so keep its location under control. I am left handed so it is quite probable that these photos look backwards to you, no worry you would just be starting form the opposite side of the point.
The tiny football shapes in the center of the hearts were done in reverse appliqué as seen here.
For my brights quilt I may just appliqué this little circle in the center as I love the look of turning these hearts into a flower. So cute!
And finally here is how the sampler is coming along. I finished the EPP yesterday and love how it looks.
Now that I feel more confident, it is time to get busy with LE. I am truly amazed at how this quilt has taken hold of so many quilters around the world and once again want to thank Esther for sharing this pattern with us. I can't wait to see these little hearts in my LE fabrics but am delighted with how much this block will add to my Brights Sampler.