Thursday, September 18, 2014

My POTC

It has been a busy few weeks but not much stitching has been going on. My son came in for a visit which was great. He taught at Quilting Live here in Atlanta and it was wonderful that he was able to combine his work trip with a family visit. While he was teaching I decided to tackle my own Patchwork Of The Crosses block. I have seen so many of these around blogland that I had purchased the EPP papers a few months ago. I found a small piece of a bright striped fabric and a few other fabrics and came up with this block for my bright sampler. It is really fun arranging the pieces for this block and I like the finished result, a perfect reminder of one of the quilting trends of 2014.

I also appliqued a few bird blocks for the same quilt. These blocks are my son's design from one of his first quilt patterns. It is called Bird Crossing by Feed dog designs and remains on of my favorites. I really wanted a reminder of these birds as I made the sample of this quilt and don't really want to make another whole quilt but want these blocks as a reminder of his work.

Finally, today I have been practicing my Free Motion Quilting. My son was kind enough to help me baste a few quilts so I was all ready to go. I decided that I wanted to try McTavishing as my background fill. It kinda looks like swirling wind which I love with these fall leaves. I am really having fun with this design. Much easier than I expected and very forgiving though I am finding it pretty time consuming. I am really anxious now to try this pattern on a smaller scale on an appliqué project. I have so many tops sitting around ready to quilt that I need to get busy!!!

 

10 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

I've seen lots of similar blocks on IG but they call them Boston Lucy. Are they the same blocks? In any case, they look lovely and the way you combine them with other blocks is great. I've been meaning to try McTavising quilting but I'm glad you said it's very time consuming, so I won't do it on a fairly big quilt I need to quilt in the next few weeks.

Bev said...

Your pieced block just set me back!!! It is GORGEOUS! I LOVE the design and the colors! Thanks for sharing it! Really gorgeous!

antique quilter said...

oh I love this leaf quilt it is beautiful, your quilting looks great! keep going
Kathie

antique quilter said...

forgot to say how much I love those birds, I have a thing for birds on quilts , this is just adorable
Kathie

Karen H said...

Your POTC looks amazing in bright colours and appliqueing it to the background is such a time saver! The McTavishing is perfect for your leaf quilt - looks like it might be finished just it time for the cooler weather!

Cheri said...

PTOC is fun to arrange and play with and yours using bright fabrics is a perfect fit in your quilt. Love those happy little birds. Your quilting looks great and a son who helps baste quilts is a good example of raising a child right :)

Karen said...

Everything is looking great so far. I was in Atlanta for QL, what did your son teach?

audrey said...

Your POTC is such a great project. Very interesting that you're doing it in 2014 fabric trends! Love the birds--so sweet.:)

Barb said...

love that dotty background for those cute birds.
great EPP and FMQ on your pretty quilt.

Eileen said...

Heather, I love your POTC! It's become my newest obsession as well. :)
Your McTavishing looks great-I've yet to attempt it. I took a lecture from Karen at MQX a couple of years ago; she called it "cartoon hair". Cute, huh?