Sunday, August 18, 2013

Selecting fabrics for LE and a completed heart circle

Usually selecting fabrics for a project is my favorite part of appliqué. I select a pile that seems to go together, picking out many more than I will need, and then delight in picking out just the right fabric for each element. I rarely second guess myself and find this part of a project just so fun.

So what is it about LE that is causing me so much stress?!! I am not sure if it is because I want the quilt to be just perfect, or because I want an aged look (which is not quite In my comfort zone), or because I am only able to select colors one part at a time. Whatever the reason I am struggling with this much more than normal. Not so much with the hearts. I have known from the beginning that I want this quilt to have a controlled scrappy look and that I wanted to incorporate some Dutch chintz fabrics. I used 4 fabrics in reds and pinks in the hearts and one of the reds is a chintz.



So far, so good. But here is when the trouble began. I purchased the teal chintz that is in the center and the zigzags and was so thrilled to be able to use it as I had just ordered a new sofa in teal and was sure they would look great together. I have plans to hang the finished quilt on the wall in that room as we have 20ft ceilings in the room and I think it will be a beautiful piece of art in the room. I also knew that I wanted to incorporate some lighter greenish aqua in the quilt as I just love the color and have that color in the room as well. Not as easy as I imagined. First the couch came in a tiny bit greener than I remembered and now I really need to add that aqua to help everything blend better in the room. But I do not want to compromise the quilt to just fit into a space, so I am trying to get a balance. I tried several options and came up with this.



I struggled with this as I was planning to use a brighter gold inside those Oak leaf type shapes but changed that out after stitching one down. But as you see, no greenish aqua. I wanted to do the pointy shapes in that color but they looked wrong too. So after getting this far I had a rethink and went back to the stash for more ideas and cut out this version.



Aqua is added and looks good. My DH was much happier as he felt it was going too pink. But I looked back at the picture of the overall quilt in grey scale and knew the aqua was not strong enough to make these design elements stand out the way I would like. So I started taking photos against the new couch with a potential border fabric next to the zigzag. Here they are.





I have discovered that looking at things once they are posted to my blog really helps clarify things and often errors jump out so I am hoping that works this time. I have lots of time to add this aqua if I decide not to here and certainly the border fabric is not yet a lock, hey I have already changed my mind several times. I really want to make a decision soon as I think that will help everything fall into place.

I wonder, is anyone else having these sort of dilemmas?

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are a little further than I am with your LE, I am going for a very scrappy Japanese Taupe look so I don't think I will have the same problem - I am not making it to match up in a room where colors are already selected. Your quilt is looking good.

Babs Banter/QUILTECH said...

Have been chopping and changing fabrics for past couple of weeks. It's important to get it right isn't it - as there is going to be a lot of work on this quilt for the next 2 years. Will be devastating to end up with a quilt we don't like! I suspect the scrap quilts will be the most successful.

Babs in quandry...

Donna~~ said...

I always have the same problem choosing colors. It's particularly difficult when trying to make something match. Picking fabrics is my favorite things, but sometimes it takes the longest. It looks great to me!

Teresa Rawson said...

I think your color choices are really nice. But I understand the agony in picking fabrics! I think that is why I wait and do Bonnie Hunter mystery projects AFTER I see, completely, what I am getting into, LOL! I love this LE quilt, and I have SO enjoyed watching people work on it. I am so busy with other projects right now, but really want to do LE...everyone will probably be finished before I ever get started! Your work is lovely! (I like your "brite" version of the hearts as well...very beautiful!)

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Barb said...

I have found that too...after I post something how it helps...

Rachaeldaisy said...

It's so hard to decide sometimes. I think it's just that you want this quilt to be extra special. I know you'll make the perfect choice.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather I am so delighted to read this post. I am doing LE too and I am having terrible trouble picking fabric. Like you I am trying a more vintage look but have to start again as my mariners compass colours are too light and there is no clear definition. It is a challenge when you are not working in your normal colour choice. Your work is absolutely amazing and you are my inspiration to keep on going. Thank so much for sharing. Marie(mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

Cardygirl said...

Hi Heather, I am loving sharing your journey with this quilt. We agonise over fabric choices, picture it in our heads, and then it takes on a life of its own anyway! It looks beautiful!

Elaine said...

yes Heather, I too am struggling with LE, where I don't normally! Like you I put all possibles in a basket confident that they work together and then just pick what I think will work when I get to it.

Jane in Cumbria said...

I had never thought that scrappy would present so many problems. Some elements I have also changed three times before I am happy. I am learning to not stitch down anything until I am happy with the result, but sometimes you cannot see the final result until it is stitched down....!