Thursday, March 21, 2013

Union Jack pillow

Today I decided to take a little break from unpacking and to actually sew! I have mentioned here beforehand that DH and I want this new house to truly reflect who we are using items from our family and travels. The Master bedroom is filled with blue and white ceramics, a reminder of our time in China. I don't think, however, that I have ever mentioned that early in our marriage we lived a few years in England, a place we both love. I am Canadian, but all my family came from England just a generation before my grandparents and my early years were instilled with a love of the "homeland". We have returned many times always finding treasures in our travels. We are a bit more low brow English country in decor, perhaps more like the staff quarters in Downton Abby, with a definite English Pub influence. Since we are now in Florida I decided to add a bit of a British Colonial flair and that leads me to sewing.

First I sewed a few of the pillows using the botanical print fabric which is tropical and historical at the same time. Best part was that I found the fabric on clearance at JoAnn's and it was one of those days that I was able to use a coupon for an extra 50 % off.

I've been noticing Union Jack influences in decorating and in quilting and knew a pillow would be perfect. I just used strips of quilting fabric, ribbon and some decorator weight text fabric for the background and whipped this up. Obviously it isn't an exact Union Jack but I love it and it was so fun to be sewing again!



7 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Looks great...lovely to have pieces from where you have been in life.

Jane in Cumbria said...

It looks very English!!! I love it!

Donna~~ said...

Glad you took time to sew! (I was going to suggest yesterday that you try some sewing as a method for figuring out the sewing room layout--or at least as a good excuse for it!) Your pillow looks great--and I am impressed that you not only sewed, but FINISHED something lovely!

Deborah said...

I love the Union Jack and your pillow is beautiful!!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love your pillow. You're a pillow star , i was admiring your pillows in your bedroom post too. It's interesting to hear about the places you've lived. Whereabouts in China did you live?

Janet said...

I love the pillow, especiall with the fabrics you chose. It's nice to have your memories around you.

antique quilter said...

love that pillow! and the birdcage behind the sofa,
I love birdcages !
glad you stopped and sewed I think you will figure it all out eventually I have books on another floor now too and a few other things oh well. someday I hope I have a great big sewing room!
Kathie