Friday, January 18, 2013

A new UFO

Well, that is a bit of an oxymoron but since I have never blogged about this one it is new to you! This is the quilt "Friends" from Michele Hill's book William Morris in Appliqué. I am a bit of an Anglophile, having grown up in Canada and living 2 years in England in the mid 1980's and have admired William Morris for many years. When I first saw Michele's quilts I fell in love with them and couldn't wait to get her book when it came out. My quilt was begun about 2 years ago and was inspired by some reference embroideries seen in the book though it shows no resemblance to the colors of the quilts in the book. As usual I began with much gusto but as I became distracted by other projects it was eventually put away and sorta forgotten.

I originally planned to hand appliqué this quilt but if you are familiar with these patterns, you will understand why I decided to use Michele's method of fusible appliqué with tiny blanket stitch appliqué. Lots of tiny pieces that wouldn't have enough seam allowance to turn under, at least too tricky for me. This is not fast appliqué though, there is lots of thread changing, tiny curves and tricky points and it is pretty challenging for me since I find handwork much easier than intricate machine work. But I am pretty happy with it so far and it is very satisfying to make progress on yet another UFO!





6 comments:

Brandie said...

I adore all things Morris! When I first saw Michele's book, I swooned. But like you I had trouble with needle turning her patterns. So like you, I sent it to the UFO basket.
I finally finished it, I just keep at it and needle turned it. I'm not very good at machine applique. I'm too old to learn any new tricks. haha
I have several more patterns and fabric of hers but not enough time, or something...

Michelle Ridgway said...

Love William Morris and Michelle's books....maybe you will inspire me too. I have both books, all the fabric, just need to find the courage and time. I am a needle turn girl and I really want to do it that way. So of course it all stays in the box. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Rachaeldaisy said...

You are such a busy bee! This is a beautiful project.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Love your choice of background fabric! Wow, is this ever going to be a beauty!

Jane in Cumbria said...

Your blocks are exquisite! The colours are beautiful too. I think William Morris would have loved it!

Michele Hill said...

Love your colours Heather! Keep on going.......and sorry you have to do raw edge - but it looks lovely with your delicate blanket stitch. William Morris's intricate designs don't seem to lend themselves to needleturn - sorry! I look forward to the final result (as i am sure you will too!) Hugs from Down Under