Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Weekend in the Studio

Despite the absence of DH, I have had a great weekend and most of it has been spent in the studio.  As the name of my blog indicated I am happiest when I am appliqueing and this week I was actually caught up on all my prepped work.  Evenings were spent embroidering or just watching TV but I was longing to get  appliqueing again.  So with a free weekend I was excited to prep these two blocks from Esther Aliu's  online BOM "Forget Me Not".  It is a mystery BOM that runs for 12 months and has two different blocks to choose from each month.  The patterns seem to still be available on the Yahoo group for Esther Aliu and probably on her website.  New patterns come out on the 15th of the month so it isn't to late to start this one.  I am excited to finally find a project worthy of this background fabric.  I have several yards but I've been saving it for just the right thing and I am happy with how it is looking.  I actually started stitching the peonies so I'd best find something else to prepare soon so I don't run out again.

These Calla lilies will be embellished with some shading once they are stitched and there are pretty embroidered fronds to be added as well.  The butterflies aren't part of the pattern, just something I wanted to add.

I intended to get this Birdie Stitches quilt sewn together too but another project took priority so it is cut out and on the design wall awaiting final assembly.


Late last week I was contacted to see if I would be interested in helping with quilts for family members of a local fallen soldier.  I was happy to help and when the fabric for the center squares arrived on Saturday I decided to complete these this weekend.  We were asked to use reproduction fabric or similar and I was happy that I was able to find these in my stash.  One of them was dated 1990 on the selvedge and several others are from about that time. I guess that is why I never really purge the stash, you never know when you might need something!

Well I'm off to sit and stitch!

5 comments:

Janet said...

I think we feel the same about applique , the blocks are very beautiful on that text print. Good going on the birdie quilt too and the help given for the repro quilt.

Cheri said...

Your applique blocks are beautiful, you are so good at the shading in the flowers. Sounds like a nice weekend.
Happy stitching Heather!

sunny said...

I was thinking of you earlier and wondering how you were doing. Glad to hear you're staying out of trouble! I've been doing a little applique, and plan to try some more to see if I can improve my skills. Rather frustrating, but I think I'm making progress. Have a great week!.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your applique flowers are so beautiful!! I love the handwriting backgrounds! The birdies are looking wonderful. I love the civil war blocks, it's great you are using up your stash fabrics. They were just waiting for the right project.

LuAnn said...

Beautiful applique' and I love the background you are using. I have a big piece of the cabbage fabric that you showed a few posts back. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I couldn't stop looking at it so I brought some of it home.