Friday, November 4, 2011

Foundation piecing phobia

A few years ago I made this New York Beauty after taking a class on foundation paper piecing.  I enjoyed the class and scurried home and made this quilt in the next few days while I still had the technique fresh in my mind.  Unfortunately I completely forgot what I did to make this thing and have had a foundation piecing phobia ever since. This past week I got together with several members of my guild to make a quilt for a charity to auction as a fundraiser.  I was horrified/delighted to discover we were foundation piecing a really complicated quilt! Actually it turned out to be a great refresher course and I had lots of fun. So once again I scurried home to practice.
 So, while I still know what I am doing, I started on this quilt that I have wanted to make for years.  It is a pattern by Chris Jurd that appeared in a 2008 copy of  "Down Under Quilts" .  I had all the fabric picked, the foundations copied to velum and was ready to go.
And voila, I have made some Pickle Dish arcs.  I am so proud of myself and love how it looks.  Lots more to do so maybe this time the "how to" will sink in.  
And last, but not least, here is a giveaway win from the Ghastlies blog hop.  This was a prize from Barb of Bejeweled by Barb.  I was so excited to receive the cute little bag and the piece of Ghastlie fabric.  None of my LQSs carry this fabric and I can't wait to use it in something fun.  Thanks Barb.

7 comments:

Donna~~ said...

Your Pickled Lilies quilt is lovely! I forget how to do the paper piecing if I don't do it often too! Congrats on your Ghastlie win!

Michelle said...

Loving the pickles.Lol.
Looks great.

antique quilter said...

oh I love your NYB quilt I have wanted to make one of those for a long time. OH MY I am loving your blocks so far and the fabric choices are wonderful. Keep going I can't wait to see this one finished.
Kathie

Julierose said...

Pickled Lilies is sooo lovely--really like your color choices...I have never Foundation Pieced--weeelll, actually I tried it a little and kept getting it wrong...I am hoping that our quilt shop will have a course on it....Julierose

Carrie P. said...

congrats on your win. It was amazing to see what all those quilters made with that fabric.
wow! your paper piece design is looking good. Not one of my favorite things to do but you sure do get great results.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.

Oops-Lah said...

Gorgeous paper piecing! I also like it as I can get those sharp points which otherwise are very elusive to me ;).

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It’s so nice to find other quilters all around the world!