Thursday, July 14, 2011

Just for fun

The last few days I have worked on a fun little project with my DIL. She has never quilted before and has only done limited sewing but wanted to make a quilt for a friends little boy. I suggested she go to the quilt store and pick out a fabric or two that she liked and she could do the rest of the "shopping" from my stash. Since the little boy wanted "dinosaurs driving cars" this is what she bought. And after some stash shopping and some simple designing here is what we made.
She helped pick all the fabrics and I drew the dinosaur in the car using her fabric choices to help. I then had her help cut all the fusible pieces for machine applique and I did that bit of sewing. She did pretty much all of the straight line machine sewing after I cut the pieces and let her decide on placement of fabrics. Finally we both did some of the quilting on my longarm machine and then we also shared in sewing on the binding. She got to at least participate in every part of the process and we had a fun 3 days working and chatting. Here is a closer view of the applique. I hope the little boy will have as much fun with it as we had making it!

5 comments:

Brandie said...

So cute! What a fun quilt for a little man.

Cheri said...

How Cute! And, how creative you are! I can't wait to see all of your Chinese applique blocks together.
Happy Stitching,
Cheri

Alex said...

looks great! joey will love it!

Unknown said...

That's brilliant! What kid wouldn't love it? Particularly when he's ordered dinosaurs driving cars.

Hope DIL (or SIL to me, I guess) had a good time working on it—she had a great teacher!

Britta said...

Heather, I love your antiqusy quilts. YOu really have a knack for the coloring... However, the croc (or is it a dinosaur?) in the car just cracked me up! This is so much fun. I know several boys who's love this!!!

Greetings from the Rhine,
Britta