Friday, May 22, 2015

The move in continues and more Quilty Fun

After putting up the design wall on Sunday the move into the new studio space has begun. Though there are still a few things yet to be squeezed in, I am super happy with how well things are fitting. I did lots of measuring furniture and playing with floor plan arrangements on paper before we began in, though I must admit that there needed to be a few adjustments to the plan as I saw things in the room. That huge space sure shrank quickly. So, here is a little tour of my new studio space while it is still clean and tidy. First up is the fabric storage and longarm area. The wire drawer units are from IKEA. I have used these for a few years now and just love them. I sort most of this fabric by color but some of the drawers are filled with projects that are ready to go. The top is a MDF board cut to size at Home Depot. Since I am only 5'2" I decided that I would only go 2 high so that I could use the shelf for my Lonaberger baskets which hod mostly small accessories or fabric scraps. On the other side of the longarm are the IKEA cube shelves. I store my wools, silks and some projects here but they really need to be reorganized now that I have everything in one room. Behind those are stacking plastic drawers each filled with fabrics pulled for a project. These were used when I moved to China several years ago as I needed to make sure that I had everything I would need for a particular project with me. I would like to replace these with more of the IKEA cubes in the future. You can also see my cutting table in front of the longarm frame. This was made many years ago using wire basket frames from Home Depot, long before IKEA stores were here. It is sporting a new top obtained from the IKEA "as is" area and in the background you can see the old top against the wall. That is going to be covered to use as an ironing table and will be set up right behind the cutting table.

In this picture you can see a better view of the cutting table in relation to my sewing machine. After many different room configurations in the last few years, I have discovered that I love having the cutting table right behind my sewing machine. Those wire baskets hold rulers and cutting accessories in the top baskets and mostly hand dyed fabrics in the lower baskets. And that little ironing board gets pulled up to my sewing table when I am sewing so that it is right next to me and is at the right height for me to press while sitting. It was purchased in China and was the biggest one I could find. The best thing about it now it is it's small size and that I can adjust it quite low. I covered it in a fun fabric several months ago and I love it. Next to the cutting table are the shelving units I mentioned in my last post. Those laundry baskets hold fabrics including most of my brights and the cloth boxes are mostly UFO's. Seeing all my fabric in one space after over 8 years of separation is almost frightening. I really need to get busy!

Looking from the other side of the cutting table you can see my table space. My main machine is in a Horn sewing cabinet that I have had for almost 20 years - love it. I do not like sewing with a table pushed up against a wall so this is in the middle of the room. I have IKEA tables and rolling shelves arranged into a large table space so I can spread out. There is a walkway between the main table space and the table in front of the window. That table is my appliqué prep area and of course you can see the new completed design wall on the left. The second machine that is set up and covered is the machine that I have been using for FMQ while my longarm has been in pieces. The longarm still needs to be fully set up so it is good to keep this machine available.

Finally from this angle you can see the right side of the appliqué prep area which includes my copy machine and light table. Another cube shelving unit with more projects and under several table areas are rolling drawers for pens, fabric paints, free motion quilting accessories and paper. A filing cabinet under the light table hold patterns and books are stored in book shelves in the adjoining sitting room.

My Quilty Fun quilt is awaiting borders and is hanging on the design wall.

The original quilt pattern included mittens in the bottom row but I decided to draft a bird pattern to use instead. I was inspired by a few bird blocks including the chick block that Lori Holt included in her new book "Farm Girl Vintage" and came up with this little bird. I think it works well in the quilt and was a fun easy block.

Thanks for joining my on my studio tour, hopefully I will be back to more sewing soon.

 

 

20 comments:

Emily Breclaw said...

What an lovely space!! Looking forward to seeing the beautiful quilts to come from it! You're inspiring me to start working on my own studio renovation!!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful studio! I so enjoyed taking "the tour." Just lovely and lots of great ideas!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Oh My! What a stunning space to sew in! I loved catching up on your blog as it has been so long since I could do a little blog hopping! You've been getting so much done! And all so pretty! Love that new sewing space...imagine what you will do in there!!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Very nice, what a pleasant room for creating! I also have my sewing machine cabinet set in the middle of the room so I can see out the windows. Thanks for the tour!

Janet said...

I love the little bird row - they are darling and fit better with the flowers, butterflies and apples than mittens.

Donna~~ said...

What a wonderful space to sew in--lucky you! And the bird is a better fit with the quilt--a lovely addition!

Oops-Lah said...

What a brilliant sewing room/studio - I'm really jealous ;)!

Kyle said...

It takes a lot of thought to have everything set up in a working manner. It looks great. I know you'll be having FUN soon.

Bev said...

What a great sewing space! You are so organized! Wow! and I am IN LOVE with the little bird block that you designed! So adorable! Thanks for the tour! XO

Karen said...

Everything looks so very organized. My sewing room never looks like that. Not even in my dreams.

Clare said...

What a blessing you have with your studio. Trying to get my Hubby to agree for a room to be made for me. We may have to move for that! I love how you have used your Lonaberger Baskets. I have only three small ones that I treasure. I was amazed and delighted to visit their shop when in USA over ten years ago. We don`t have that here. I will think of you when I stitch knowing the enjoyment you are having in your studio. Happy Stitching.

sunny said...

I would love to play in that room! Your quilt is beautiful. Now you have no excuse not to make several more each week. Are you left-handed??

Flickenstichlerin said...

You've got a beautiful and large sewing room. Wonderful happy space to play in.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Cardygirl said...

Wow! I love it! It is very well thought out and I love the view into the trees...a true creative cave...have fun!

Barb said...

what a fabulous space!! enjoy

Cheri said...

GreT quilting space, my favorite us the trees out the window, I love to be able to see trees. You are so organized! The quilt has super sweet colors, very cute.

Karen H said...

I thought I had a lot of fabric (and I do) but your collection is outstanding! I just love your new studio and expect to see great things once you are settled it.

As for the chick border I love it and think that swapping out the mittens for chicks was a very good decision!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Wow!! What a wonderful spot!!

Eileen said...

Heather, your studio is gorgeous! I love your space-you have a place for everything.
Good luck and may you have super creativity there. :-)

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a great sewing room. Your're so organised with all those wire shelves from Ikea.. I particularly love your lighting, the way you have lights all around the room! Your LoriHolt quilt is so bright and happy, it looks as though it's a lot of fun to make!