Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Cherry Thieves table runner

About a week ago I decided that it was about time I finally started on a little project that I have been wanting to make for several years. It is the Cherry Thieves table runner by Esther Aliu and was one of the first patterns that I downloaded from her Yahoo Group. I really love the pattern and decided it would be perfect to fill the wall space above the window in the eating area of my kitchen. I really need some color up there and I would much rather make this than some window treatments right now. Although the original pattern is in reds, I knew this pattern would be great in shades of teal and aqua. First I decided to do a fusible appliqué. As you can see I had a few issues with sizing but it was not a problem as I just cut the excess background fabric off after appliquéing.

I did a tiny blanket stitch around all the appliqué. On my machine it is the 1.5 setting in length and width.

I then added the details in hand embroidery. I am sure I could have done this on the machine but I like how the little french knots add a bit of texture.


Finally I added the final border and it is ready to sandwich so I can begin machine quilting. I am going to try some fancy background quilting with this one but I am not quite sure what pattern I will use. I figure this will be good practice as it is a pretty small project and since it will be hanging up high no one will be able to look too closely. I can't wait to enjoy this on the wall!

 

20 comments:

Pine Valley Quilts said...

Your colors are really beautiful. A great project to try out some background machine quilting designs I would love to see how it turns out.

Dolores said...

It's lovely. I hope you send a photo to Esther. I'm sure she would be thrilled to see her pattern done up in a different colour.

Oops-Lah said...

How cute is that! I've seen Esther's red one and I think I prefer it in your colours. So soft and pretty.

Janet said...

It is lovely. I can't wait to see how you quilt it. Thank you for sharing.

Karen said...

The color you chose for the runner is interesting. I like it very much. I probably would have done it in reds if I were doing one color but seeing the blue greens, I could have been swayed.

Esther Aliu said...

Heather I just adore your version of Cherry Thieves, what a beauty! And so interesting in blues, it really works! Fabulous!

Plum Cox said...

Lovely colours, lovely work! I'm tempted to buy this pattern myself....
Enjoy the quilting!

Barb said...

Oh my gosh....better not leave that out....I am drooling over here.

Cathy said...

I love it. Your button hole stitch is almost invisible. Hugs

Marie said...

Oh my - so beautiful. Love the colours!

Angie in SoCal said...

Congrats on your lovely finish!

Jane in Cumbria said...

That is beautiful, Heather. I love the colours you have chosen for this. And the embroidery makes it just perfect.

Wendy said...

love the colors you chose to use for this one. I too have been wanting to make this pattern for a while now.Yours turned out lovely.

Jenny said...

I love the colours you chose,so restful on the eye. Beautiful stitching too. Cheer's Jenny

Debra said...

It's beautiful and I can't believe you got it done in a week. Nice job and love, love, love the color.

sunny said...

It's gorgeous Heather! I really like the blues, and the embroidery you added is just perfect. I'm on vacation, and miss stitching...

Kyle said...

Love your interpretation of Cheery Thieves. Your tiny buttonhole stitches look perfect and the embroidery really adds some sweet details.

liniecat said...

Gosh that's so beautiful, the batiks work so well too and what a divine colourways you've used : )

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Lovely, just lovely!

BizarreQuilter said...

Beautiful. I love Esther's patterns.