Monday, October 27, 2014

Fall Urns finished and pulling fabric for Stonefields

Ta da! After 20+ years my Fall Urns quilt is a finished top. Despite my little errors I am so pleased with how it turned out. Sure hope it doesn't take me another 20 years to get to the quilting.

I am working on the next border for Sampler Magic but got a little distracted pulling fabric for my Stonefields quilt. Most of the fabric for this quilt came from the stash though I must admit to buying a few things once I had ordered the pattern. After pulling from the stash I realize that I certainly did not need to make those purchases. Oh well I have lots to choose from, here is what I am starting with.

The most difficult part was selecting the background fabric. The pattern suggests 7 meters of fabric which will be used in the borders, flying geese borders and many of the block backgrounds. I found a background in the stash that I liked but only had 7 yards, about 3/4 yd short. I had enough of one solid but I had already started a long term project using it as a background and wasn't sure I had enough for both. I then found a few yards of another solid and a few other similar tonals so I am using the first fabric as the borders and then the solid for the flying geese units. And that way I can mix up the backgrounds in the blocks using whatever I have on hand.

 

20 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that quilt - I think I have a block something very familiar to that some place - just love the colors you used.

sunny said...

Your urns are beautiful. How on earth will you quilt that? I wouldn't know where to begin.

Kyle said...

Your Fall Urns quilt is absolutely beautiful. The colors are rich and the design is lovely. When it's quilted, it will even be more awesome! ( no pressure) :0)

Dorothy said...

I love pulling out fabrics to start a new quilt and even though it causes such a mess it's wonderful when you find just the right one in the stash. I like to mix and match backgrounds too. It gives a great look to the quilt. Your finished quilt is lovely.

Raewyn said...

Beautiful! Congratulations on completing the Urns top, love your colours and also the design. Those 'accidental'(?) hearts on the sashing are neat too! Glad I'm not the only one with an overflowing stash :-)

Janet said...

Fall urns looks just beautiful! I love all the fabrics you have pulled for your next project - you've got great taste :0)

audrey said...

Love the idea of mixing up your background fabrics! Your Fall Urns turned out to be just gorgeous. Wonderful, wonderful work.:)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Your Fall Urns is stunning.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love the process of trying to make something out of what is in my stash. The quilts that I have made that way are so much more interesting. Your finish is absolutely stunning!

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I love your stash! How is it that I have stash envy when I have so much? You should come to my house and we could swap, lols (I am in England).

Karen H said...

Congratulation on completing your quilt top. It is stunning. Please don't wait another 20 years to quilt it!

I can't wait to see your progress on the Stonefield's quilt. I like that you are using more than one fabric for the background because I always find that it adds depth to a quilt. I love all of the fabrics on your table! When can we expect to see the first blocks? Soon I hope!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Beautiful! I'm loving the fabrics for Stonefield's too--can't wait to see it come to life!

Julierose said...

Gosh that Fall Urns is so lovely. Heather. I really envy anyone who can applique so beautifully. An heirloom for sure...hugs, Julierose

Rachaeldaisy said...

This is such a beautiful quilt top. Congratulations on finishing it after 20 years.

Deb said...

gorgeous applique so lucky you still had all your fabric in there to work on it. it was worth waiting for the 20 years...LOL

Debra said...

Spectacular!!! What a gorgeous quilt! Congrats on finally getting the piecing and applique done.

Jane in Cumbria said...

Oooh, what a beautiful quilt that is! You must be very pleased with it. The colours are wonderful. And I love the fabrics for your Stonefields!

Angie in SoCal said...

Your fabulous UFO! Look forward as you share your quilting process. Love the fabric you have pulled.

Karen said...

This is so unbelievably beautiful. The colors, the set, the border, everything. This may have to go on my bucket list. Is it a published pattern?

Karen said...

This is so unbelievably beautiful. The colors, the set, the border, everything. This may have to go on my bucket list. Is it a published pattern?