Monday, October 21, 2013

Finally stitching again!

It has been 4 1/2 weeks since my surgery and I am finally feeling up to a little more stitching. Since this is a quilting blog, I will not bore you with the numerous setbacks in my recovery but I will say it has been very painful and difficult. I saw the doctor today and sure enough an MRI shows that I suffered a stress fracture sometime after surgery. Not sure what caused it and we are just hoping and praying that it heals itself in the next few months, otherwise another surgery! The doctor has only ever seen this once before and while am I certainly not happy about it I was glad to hear that there was an explanation for my severe pain and difficulties.

But enough of that. I did get the last block for the baby quilt finished and hope I can get back to the machine soon to put it together. I also am itching to start part 5 of LE but I have printed it out and maybe I will be up to that soon. As fun and exciting as LE is, sometimes I just feel the need to work on something different and new. Before surgery I decided to prep some blocks that have intrigued me for several years. Here is the first one I prepared.



And here it is with the stitching partially complete.



I will happily show the quilt that I am using as inspiration but first I am just curious if any of you recognize it. I will give you a hint. It is an old quilt from the around 1830 - 1840 and these colors are not representative of the original. In fact here is the fabric that inspired the colors.



One thing about sitting in one chair for long periods of time, for me, is that I start thinking of decorating ideas for the room. I had seen this Decorator fabric and thought I might want to make curtains for my room and had saved a photo to my iPad. Then when I decided to start this quilt I knew that these colors were perfect. And after prepping 6 blocks and sitting for weeks in the same room I have finally ordered the fabric. I love it and amazingly the blocks all blend so well with the colors even though I was only working from a photo. Now I am excited to work on this quilt alongside LE. Hopefully healing will continue and I am able to stitch more often.

Hope you are able to be happily stitching today!

11 comments:

sunny said...

I'm sorry to hear how hard this has been on you. Hopefully it will all be better soon, and you'll say the results are so worth it! Love your inspiration fabric.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope you heal fast and take care of yourself! my sister has a stress fracture in her foot and she doesn't take care of herself which has resulted in having the "boot" on her foot for another 3 weeks if it doesn't heal then it will be a regular cast - I hope she listens to the instructions this time!

Oops-Lah said...

Good to hear that you are finally starting to feel better. But what rotten luck with that stress fracture. No wonder you were in so much pain.
Love the look of the new quilt, but have no idea what it is. Best wishes.

Every Stitch said...

So sorry to hear of the setbacks - but good you have managed some lovely sewing! I don't know the inspiration quilt but the fabric is beautiful- the colours and the wonderful flower designs. Take care.
Hilda

Rachaeldaisy said...

That is great news to hear you are stitching again!!! I'm glad the doctor found something and that you're on the mend. That block is so fun and I love the inspiration fabric!!!! A room decorated in those colours would be so beautful!

LuAnn said...

Your appliqué is just beautiful. I hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly.

Angie in SoCal said...

I was sorry to hear about your stress fracture. As they say: when it rains, it pours... Prayers continue for you, Heather. That is a beautiful new quilt you will be working on. As hard as it is, do take it easy so that you will heal completely.

Barb said...

glad to hear you are on the mend and backing to stitching.
I can't think what quilt this is from, so I can't wait to hear.
It's not the brides quilt but I think it's an album quilt.

Julierose said...

So happy to hear you are back to hand stitching--your works are wonderful--I absolutely love those deer near that urn--it reminds me of my front yard where the deer visit daily to have dessert on my flowers!! Those colors are terrific, too. Hoping your stress fracture heals up quickly...hang in there--hugs, Julierose

Thimbleanna said...

Oh wow -- I LOVE that new block! I have no idea what it's from -- I can't wait to have you tell us.

And so sorry to hear about the difficult recovery. Now that the problem has been discovered, hopefully recovery will go much better!

Bunny said...

So sorry to read of your surgery but happy to see that your recovery is coming along. Nice to see you are able to stitch while recovering. I have been up to my ears in packing and purging for our move so not doing much stitching as too darn tired. Lol.
Feel better hugs Bunny