Sunday, August 12, 2012

A stab at Big Stitch quilting

Ever since I started blogging I find myself wanting to try new colors and techniques. For me that is one of the best things about blogging, discovering styles of quilting that I might not otherwise see or techniques that I see used in a new way. Case in point is big stitch quilting. While I had seen it used several years ago on primitive style quilts, it wasn't until I hit the blogs that I began seeing its potential when used with bright more modern quilts and decided to give it a try. On my last trip to Florida I made this little top to brighten up my sewing room wall here and knew it was the perfect project. It was quick and easy using peeled cotton and utility needles and overall I am pretty happy with the results. Maybe next time I will use a hoop but I do love the ability to play with the thread colors and designs. It has a wonderful soft drape when finished so would be perfect for a baby quit - that is if the threads don't bleed. I'm sure I'll be trying this again.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Oops I meant perle cotton!

Carrie P. said...

I like big stitching. It really works for some quilts. Looks great on yours.

Cheri said...

Oh, I have always wanted to try it too. It looks good on your quilt, good job!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Perle cotton is wonderful to stitch with. The big stitches add colour and texture . Your quilt highlights that beautifully!!

Janet said...

I think the stitches look perfect for this kind of quilt, plus it's tons of fun to do. Use colour catches when washing though. Some of the DMC threads do run in the wash.

Miriam said...

The big stitches are perfect on your quilt!

Cardygirl said...

Looks great...I was wondering what peeled cotton was!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I really like this and it's HAND quilted! Wonderful.

Canadian Abroad said...

It looks brilliant. Works so well with this quilt pattern.