About a week ago I decided that it was about time I finally started on a little project that I have been wanting to make for several years. It is the Cherry Thieves table runner by Esther Aliu and was one of the first patterns that I downloaded from her Yahoo Group. I really love the pattern and decided it would be perfect to fill the wall space above the window in the eating area of my kitchen. I really need some color up there and I would much rather make this than some window treatments right now. Although the original pattern is in reds, I knew this pattern would be great in shades of teal and aqua. First I decided to do a fusible appliqué. As you can see I had a few issues with sizing but it was not a problem as I just cut the excess background fabric off after appliquéing.
I did a tiny blanket stitch around all the appliqué. On my machine it is the 1.5 setting in length and width.
I then added the details in hand embroidery. I am sure I could have done this on the machine but I like how the little french knots add a bit of texture.
Finally I added the final border and it is ready to sandwich so I can begin machine quilting. I am going to try some fancy background quilting with this one but I am not quite sure what pattern I will use. I figure this will be good practice as it is a pretty small project and since it will be hanging up high no one will be able to look too closely. I can't wait to enjoy this on the wall!